Front bumper mods

dmoody

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
I've been trying to think of ways to modify my front and rear fiberglass bumpers to make them look more streamlined with the body. Has anyone ever smoothed out the bumpers in the front to see what it would look like? Just trying to get some ideas... wish I were better with Photoshop :-(

d

• Sponsors (?)

I don't own one yet but have had similar thoughts... Is there anything close that might work? I remember when I was a kid I saw in an old van magazine how they cut a fiberglass spoiler in half and lengthened it to fit the width of the van.

Could the same thing be applied to a more streamlined small car bumper?? You'd have to look around and see what is close then modify... just a thought.

Blue Thunder, I've seen a 65-66 Shelby front apron narrowed and put on the front of a II. It looked pretty good, however I'm shooting for keeping my existing bumper structure but simply modifying the aftermarket fiberglass covers you can buy for them.

BBRacer, what about the front bumper on the new Mustang that is coming out? If you take away the blinkers and simply look at the lines... notice how the protruding line across the front is thinner and then it gently curves down... that is something like what I'm imagining but I have no idea if it would look good. It wouldn't be too hard to modify the fiberglass bumper cover to look like this.

d

cut the foam off your original bumper frame get a fiberglss bumper from one of the many dealers glue it to the metal frame work with an automotive glue (it will hold they put cars together with glue nowdays) then measure from the front of your bumper to the fron of the header panel i think it will be about 4 1/2 -5 1/2 inches then cut out that much from the bumper shocks and reweld carefully trim the edges of the fiber glass bumper until you can bolt the bumper back on without it hitting the fenders or any thing an air saw die grinder welder and glue are pretty much all you need to do it you can use hand tools but air is much faster may have a experienced welder cut the bumper shocks for you and reweld but it will give you a nice smooth look in the end

BBRacer said:
Could the same thing be applied to a more streamlined small car bumper?? You'd have to look around and see what is close then modify... just a thought.

I've been looking at air dams and bumpers for years.

An aftermarket dam for a 240Z had promise, A later model BMW sedans front section looked good too.

i took the factory front bumper and took it off the metal frame and remounted back on the car with the middle section cut out.really do like the way it looks and it's much lighter.

I had planned on choppin up some 65 bumpers front and back that my grandpa had left over from a resto. I was gonna take part of the middle out then weld/grind and have them re-chromed, but I never got any of the II's I've tried to get yet.

Markysinatra said:
I had planned on choppin up some 65 bumpers front and back that my grandpa had left over from a resto. I was gonna take part of the middle out then weld/grind and have them re-chromed, but I never got any of the II's I've tried to get yet.

Wow using a classic to mod a II :nice:

Bet them boys are lovin that :bang:

let us know how it works out..