Front Hub Assembly Removal

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Anyone have a link to instructions on front hub assembly removal? Mine is bad. Ford wants $77 for one, that does not seem too bad.

Should I do both sides since I am doing it? How do I get the hub assembly off? The front wheel bearing itself is not serviceable. Only the entire hub assembly is according to the parts guy.

• Sponsors (?)

The hub assembly was easy. I did mine myself last year. You need to get the proper socket to fit the retaining bolt. I picked mine up at Advanced Auto. I can't remember the size off hand, but it was well marked in the store as the "Ford" size. If you need me to, I will go out in the gargae and find it to get you the right size.

Otherwise, it is quick and easy. Its long to jack up the car and get the wheel off.

kilgore. they are very easy. all you do is remove the wheel and the front brakes and rotors. use a screwdriver to remove the dust cap in the center of the hub and it's one big nut in the center and it slides right off. they don't much easier than this one. i don;t remember the size of the nut off hand but i want to say it's a 36mm.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
Remove the front brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-03.
Remove and discard the front hub cap grease seal (1N135).

bearing.jpg

CAUTION: The wheel hub retainer (3B477) is a one time use item and must be replaced with a new retainer when removed. Failure to do so can cause the retainer to come loose during vehicle operation resulting in loss of vehicle control.

Remove and discard the front axle wheel hub retainer.

nut.jpg

Remove the front wheel hub and bearing (1104).

tourqe.jpg

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 595
  • nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 453
  • tourqe.jpg
    tourqe.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 431
LOL your missing the dust cap. sorry kil. i thought you went nuts for a minute there.

you may want to go back to the ford dealer and order a dust cap and bearing retainer (that nut you call a nut with a cage around it.) you take that off like a standard nut. but it's a one time use nut so you have to buy a new one.

make sure you read the post i have above those are the exact directions out of the 2001 service manual.

Couple more quick questions:

Can I just replace the bad hub bearing on the driver's side or must I do both sides like one has to do with tires and shocks?

Also, the wheel that has the hub bearing assembly that is messed up spins much more freely than the one that is not. I would think it would be the other way around :scratch:

Kilgore Trout said:
Couple more quick questions:

Can I just replace the bad hub bearing on the driver's side or must I do both sides like one has to do with tires and shocks?

Also, the wheel that has the hub bearing assembly that is messed up spins much more freely than the one that is not. I would think it would be the other way around :scratch:

i would not put to much thought into how the wheels freewheel. unless you feel binding and even then you have to remember the brakes are dragging on the rotors slightly.

you don't have to replace both hubs if you don't want to. it the other side is ok i would just get a dust cap for it

4u2nv said:
I'm wondering how your dust caps were missing.... Did that contribute to the hub failure?

i am sure it did. that cap keeps dirt and other stuff out. kilgore needs to go order some caps