Fuel Fuel Gage Sending Unit - Can the Displacer/Float be Replaced?

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
Just like the title says, can you replace just the displacer on the sending unit? Have the tank out of my Coupe for some fuel pump wiring work and curiosity got the best of me. The sending unit and gage in my car are fine but I was just curious as all I can find is the entire sending unit. My guess is since they are not a hollow metal float like the older cars and are actually a solid plastic displacer they do not have the issues the old ones did.

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC, they are a styrofoam type material that can disintegrate. I think i've seen units where chunks were taken out, or the entire thing broke apart in the tank.

You are talking about the black float on the sender right? Not sure i've seen that available separate. I'm sure something can be crafted. It's just a float. Would need to be made out of fuel resistant materials.

1679066420118.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking since I was in the tank I would replace it but when I realized it is a solid displacer and not a float like what is in my T-Bird I realized there was not point. If it works it works so not messing with it.

Reactions: 1 user
So the sending unit it the original Ford unit and has zero issues so and I would rather not put a parts store brand one in the tank. Anyone have any luck with the Scott Drake or Daniel Carpenter repops? Both are stainless steel so that is great for corrosion with today's fuels.

Scott Drake / Holley

Daniel Carpenter

Last edited:
I had the float fall off of mine, was driving and my gas gauge was physically going down as i watched it, thought i had a leak.

It's not a real complicated device and while i prefer original, not sure it's a big deal in this case.
Even if you leave the original i think it's ok, removing the gas tank when it's not full is relatively easy.