Fuel pump dead!

19stang67

Founding Member
Jul 29, 2002
Tampa, FL
Driving home and the car dies (1990 5.0). Figured out the fuel pump was not running so changed out the pump in the tank. Did not work. still not running. Now I figure its in the wiring. Checked out the relay under the driver's seat and it still clicks when the key is turned on. Power to the green wire to the relay constant. Little red wire only when the key is on. Yellow wire makes relay click and pink/black wire has nothing. This is the wire which goes to the back. tried a jumper wire to puit power to it and still nothing. Any thoughts on the situation or things to try? I am at a loss here:shrug: .

• Sponsors (?)

When you jumped the load-side wires (or/lt blue to pnk/blk), the pump didnt come on?

If not, check the fusible link in the or/blue wire. It can pass 12 volts but be so compromised that it cannot pass any amperage.

FWIW, if you need a quick run-down, Jrichker has a nifty set of flow tests in his cranks but no start checklist.

Fixing it properly is always a hot idea. It keeps the pump from running constantly if you have KOEO, keeps the inertia switch functional, etc. Of course, you could rewire it if you need to but it would probably take less time to fix it properly.

Good luck.

well, found the problem (I hope). Looks like the + side connection of the fuel pump bracket (the bracket that goes into the tank and holds the pump) shorted. on the bottom side, the insulation that the wire is attached to is bubbled. If you use an ohm meter and try the 2 prongs on the top of the bracket, you get no reading (stays at 1), however, if you put one wire on the - side on top and touch the + side after the bubbled insulation, the resistance goes to 0 (which is what you would expect....right?). Therefore, the connection between the top of the plug and the wire underneath is broken. Now, the million dollar question....where can i find one of these brackets?