Fuel Pump Eccentric not Engaging Cam Dowl Pin ?

I've just ran into this same issue and plan a different not mentioned route. I have a 65 Mustang with a C9OE 69 Torino 302 block with 65 289 heads. I've changed the timing chain set and now the pin on the camshaft protrudes about 3/4's of the way through the cam gear when the came gear is all the way rearward. I have the one piece eccentric and there seems to be a bit of a small 1/8 to 3/16 hole leading to the pin that I can exploit. I want to take a hardened bolt of the appropriate PIN SIZE and weld a stub of sorts to the bottom of the eccentric. That way I can place the eccentric into position with the stub into the hole and then place the bolt and washer down on the cam gear and tighten her down. The welded stub should act as a PIN and allow for operation of the fuel pump.

Doing it this way won't require the removal of the gear. How does this sound to all of you? Tks
Note, I'm still concerned that the outer circumference of the one piece eccentric will rub on the inside of the timing cover. Should I grind the outer circumference a 1/16 or so?

• Sponsors (?)