Fuel Pump Question

I have been told that aftermarket in-tank fuel pumps are different for 1998 & up models. Everywhere I look, all fuel pumps say 1986 to 1997 or something near that. I have a 98 Cobra and I wanted to replace the stock fuel pump with a 255 lph unit. Recently I started seeing Vortech with a pump for 98 to 04 Stangs, so I bought one. I haven't had the time to install it yet. After doing some further reading, I am starting to think that the pump I bought is for RETURNLESS SYSTEMS, such as those on 99 and up models. My Cobra has a RETURN SYSTEM just like the 97 Cobra I used to have - fuel pressure regulator and all. My question is - DID I BUY THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP??? Do I need the 1986 to 1997 model pump??? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

the return style systems use a gyrator style fuel pump such as a walbro 255, while the returnless style uses a turbine fuel pump such as an aviator, focus, or ford GT pump etc. The walbro will work on a return car but not real good. i dunno about the other way around. get the right one. i wouldnt try any new combos to see if its gonna work,