Fuel pump recommendations?

My 93 has over 202K miles and for the past two weeks every day, it has done the following: Cruising at 65-70 in 5th the rpms would drop down about 1k for about half a second then pick up again. Last night I was waiting for the security gate to open at my subdivision and the car just died. It has never just died out before. It turned over strong, but it only fired up on 4th try. It drove for 30 miles after that with no incident. The engine runs steady, no surge, and is maintained regularly. I am due to change the plugs, oil, and fuel filter this weekend. It has a new coil, the plug wires are in good shape, and I replaced the TFI module 2 years ago. The distributor is getting a good spark. The fuel pump has never been replaced, and when I turn the key to "on", the fuel pump sounds weak when it primes (it used to make a steady, high pitched sound, but now it sounds lower and the pitch varies). Am I barking up the wrong tree? What aftermarket fuel pump do you recommend? I am in the market for a blown 331 when the current ticker gives out, and I'd like to have something that is more than adequate. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks-
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you're barking up the right tree, but you may scare out more birds than you're looking for. Can't hurt to do the pump- while you're at it you may as well do the relay and an adjustable FPR. I've run my BBK 155 lph pump for a few years without any troubles, and I have more going on under the hood than you do at this point. Be careful about overkilling on pump too- especially if you live in a hot climate and do lots of stop and go driving. Big monster pumps are great, but unless you have an FMU, they may be trying to crank out way more fuel than you need 100% of the time and leaving it up to your regulator to meter out only what's needed. If you aren't running big boost, N20, or huge cubes, then you don't need a 255. The Aeromotive 1000 in particular needs an FMU for mild engines, they have had several problems with them without FMU's for this very reason. Just my $.02

a 255 is not overkill as the fpr is going to regulate the fuel. plenty of people run 255's without major upgrades. he already stated he is going to be a blown "331" so there would be little reason to recommend a 155.

There is also little reason to recommend a 255 on anything other than a race only vehicle, or something with at least 500HP. Not many streetcars have anywhere near that, even stroked, even blown. And the fact is, for every person who hasn't had trouble, there are just as many who have and even Aeromotive will tell you that. If they don't know what they're talking about, then nobody does. If that 331 will have over 1 bar crammed into it all the time, it will be justified- but I don't know too many people doing that.