Fuel Pump Upgrade and Questions

stangfl

Dec 5, 2003
FL
Alright I am putting my KB 1.7 Intercooled SC back on my GT and before I blew up with it last time I had stock fuel pump and the KB mail order chip tune. Was a 9# setup that seemed to spike way too high when driving, would hit 14 on the gauge when at WOT.

Anyway, I am playing it safe until better internals are installed and downgrading the pulley to a 6#, installing a better fuel pump and throwing away the mail order tune from KB and getting a dyno tune. I am able to purchase an SVT fuel pump out of a cobra, new, but I've been told that i need the entire fuel tank from the cobra as well and that hikes the price up a lot. Also heard about the focus fuel pumps, a guy at steeda said that there not any better then our stock GT ones which I was kinda shocked to hear. So the overall goal is to be making about 360-370 to the wheels with the tuned down setup. If you can confirm any of these statements for me or suggest some useful alternatives so that I can run safely with the supercharger on I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Focus pump will work fine. I got mine through MPH w/ all my other parts. You can find them for ~ $90. It's a direct replacement, so you need to pull the pump out of the basket assembly that you get when you receive the pump, and just replace the stock pump in your GT. Takes ~ 1 hr.

if your planning to make more HP in the future why not just get the Cobra tank and pumps now? I started with an Aviator pump and stock tank on my setup and maxed it just over 400rwhp.. the aviator supports more flow than the focus pump. The GT's tank design is the downfall, not the Focus or Aviator pump. the basket gets sucked dry and modifying it could create other slosh related daily driving issues. HP was not in mind when they built the GT's fuel system.

Fuel system parts on a supercharged engine should not be done the cheap way.. a good tune versus the mail order chip is also very important.

showstopper2 said:
if your planning to make more HP in the future why not just get the Cobra tank and pumps now? I started with an Aviator pump and stock tank on my setup and maxed it just over 400rwhp.. the aviator supports more flow than the focus pump. The GT's tank design is the downfall, not the Focus or Aviator pump. the basket gets sucked dry and modifying it could create other slosh related daily driving issues. HP was not in mind when they built the GT's fuel system.

Fuel system parts on a supercharged engine should not be done the cheap way.. a good tune versus the mail order chip is also very important.

that's all true, but for the power level he's looking for (about 370) a focus pump will be more than capable of handling that

dollarbill said:
I have the Walbro 255 lph high pressure pump (gss340) I also have -8an feed line all the way to the fuel rail. You don't want to know why i did this but I've been told since I installed a bigger feed line it should support 500+rwhp. I may never find out, but I know I won't be running out of fuel... LOL... BTW I bought the pump here:http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=436&fcmd=item&inmake=all

you have a return style fuel system, he has a returnless style system. the pumps are not compatible.

i'm making 380rwhp with an automatic and a Focus pump. that's 400rwhp easy with a 5spd. whoever said the Focus pump wasn't any better than the stock pump is an idiot and shouldn't sell performance parts.

I called up MPH for the Focus Fuel Pump and they gave me a number for a place in MD, Liberty Motorsports or something like that. Anyone have another place that they purchased theirs from, just in case. Also is it just the one pump I am buying or is it the double RPM outlet has it for like 280 etc. and its a double...

Thanks

I have the focus pump on my car right now. 346rwhp // 340rwtq, blower's been on the car for a year and a half no problems. I'm going to upgrade the 03 cobra tank / pumps shortly when I put in my KB 1.7 in.

Randy Stitchcomb on the modulardepot.com forums sells the Focus and Aviator pumps

Shaun