Fuel Pump Wiring?

Roland Shepard

May 18, 2012
I am planning on running a 255lph intank pump and a 255lph inline pump on my 04 GT. Installing the pumps is pretty self explanitory but I was wondering about the wiring on the inline since the car is returnless. I was planning on running a relay and using the black/red wire (power wire from intank) to activate the relay and have the inline powered by the battery. Or would it be better to connect the inline pump entirely to the factory intank harness and run a higher gauge power wire to the factory harness to compensate for the added draw? Or can I run it through the fpdm somehow?

• Sponsors (?)

You risk vapor locking the fuel system between the two pumps running them in series like this.

Why not go with a single in-tank solution to deliver the fuel you need?

What's your combo?

Im running a V2 Strim at 16psi with 50lb injectors. The more I read about the Mustangs fuel system Im thinking that I might just get either an aftermarket fuel rail or the return rails from a 96-98 4.6 and weld a return port into my gas tank to make it a return system. All these electronics just seem needlessly excessive.

I was wanting to run both of the pumps because I was thinking (I might be wrong) that two pumps would be more efficient than running the pump and a BAP.

What pump are you currently running? BAP is your best bet, or you can get a Cobra tank w/ dual pump system and FPDM off Ebay for $700 complete. I have heard of people modifying the basket to accommodate a second pump. The problem with just running an inline is that these are supply on demand fuel systems and the voltage varies with load/tps/etc. This is why the BAP is the most efficient way, I know guys running over 550rwhp with BAP's without any issues. I am in the same boat you are currently, running an SVT Focus pump, put down 415rwhp/410rwtq and running out of fuel.

I'm most likely going to get a BAP and rock that out at 450rwhp until I get my lower end built, then we'll change it out with a Cobra dual pump tank/system.

Im running two bbk 255lph which are walboro pumps pretty much. I took everything apart and Im just gonna save myself some wiring pain and do a return setup. I picked up a pair of return rails/regulator off a crown vic 4.6 and now that the tank is out im gonna weld a port in the metal plate over the fuel pump and run a return line. Wire each pump to its own relay and trigger them off the ignition relay Havent decided whether to use hard line, SS line or fuel line yet though.