GAH! Fox is too loud... have until Thursday to fix it...

So in April I picked up a noise violation ticket after only six hours of having an off-road h-pipe installed.

After that, I drove carefully enough and didn't get nailed by anymore police. But I've had to put off fixing the exhaust until the last month and a half or so because I was broke until I started working full time.

So far, I've spent the following:

-Bassani Catted X-Pipe - $350
-Labor to have it towed to an exhaust shop and welded together because the guy before me messed up the hangers - $125
-Labor to have a technician fix the massive exhaust leak which was created by the guy who installed the X-pipe - $70

So today I took it to the police check-off station to get it approved, and the lady didn't even bother pulling out the dB meter - just told me it was way too loud and that it wasn't gonna fly. I was tempted to tell her that if she had compared it to how it sounded 6 weeks earlier, I would have had that ticket signed in about 3 seconds, but I didn't want to give attention to what else I have done to the car...

So I went back to that exhaust shop where I originally had the X-pipe installed, and he recommends Magnaflow mufflers - he wants $116 per muffler and a labor fee of $45 per muffler to install for a total of like $344. He can have it ready to go Wednesday by four, which is plenty of time for me to get it checked off, but I'm already in this over 500 bucks, and I wanted to ask two questions from all of you...

A) Assuming my current setup with 2-chamber flowmasters, would switching to two magnaflow mufflers kill the sound enough to get it passed off? Do the prices listed above sound reasonable? I saw the custom job he had to do on my x-pipe to make it fit and it was some pretty amazing work. I really didn't wanna stick super turbos in there, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

B) Is there anything I can do to quiet this thing enough to pass it in its current form?

If I can't get it passed, I'm gonna have to go into court on Friday morning and beg the judge for an extension. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading. :)

• Sponsors (?)

California

You couldnt pay me enough to live in California. Maybe you could stick something in the tailpipes? Something to disguise it? Like a rag or something? 20 minutes of some back pressure shouldnt kill it, right?

i say wait it out and show him all the papers to what u had replaced and tell him about the woman just saying its to louds with out hooking it up. the catted x pipe should have took care of u. unless he is a prick judge u should get the extension with that info.

I believe here in California it's either 94 or 96 dB. I can't really remember, but I'm leaning more towards 94.

I thought the same thing about the cats going back on. But I swear, after putting about two hundred miles on that thing, it's loud enough for someone to think it doesn't have cats. I didn't know mid-pipes "broke-in", but I guess we learn something new every day. :(

I have Bassani 1 3/4 headers, Bassani catted X-pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters....It is loud even with the tailpipes. I changed out the x-pipe to the stock H to get it smogged and it is still too loud. I am looking at Borla mufflers because my buddy's Mustang has them and they quieted his car down considerably over the flows. I must be getting old because my cars loudness never bothered me.

Good luck because living in CA sucks for car people.

I think even magnaflows could be too loud. I think I saw an article where on a mostly stock engine with an off road H-pipe, the magnaflow catback was still something like 96 or 98 decibles. When My engine was stock it was pretty loud, and when I did the heads and intake it got quite a bit louder.

I did a few years for FSAE racing and we had to be below 110 dBs to pass tech. We would weld in a washer with an OD the same as the pipe ID. This cuts down on sound pretty good. You could probably have that done for 25 bucks and then grind it out after you pass. It shouldn't hurt anything, just don't drive it hard.

Since I had access to a decibel meter this spring, I tested mine out (shorty headers, O/R H, and 2 chamber flows) - it was 90 something at idle and 116 when you punched it.

AHAAAA! LOOK WHAT I FOUND

The results in HP order:

1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK heres my story. I got the same ticket. I chose to fight it in court. I have an O/R H and a set of magnaflows installed. All I did was go to Magnflows web site and printed out the decible ratings for my muffs which was well below the legal limit in my county. Then I took a picture of the mufflers (not the hpipe :rolleyes: ) on my car with another picture of my license plate to prove that it was my car. I also took a reciept in of the muffler INSTALLATION that was dated after the citation to prove I "did something about it". Now I had documentation of the mufflers "max" db (even though Im pretty sure the rating thats listed on the site is at idle AND with a catted mid pipe :D ), I had proof that they were in fact on my car, and I had documentation that I had them professionally installed. The judge too one look at the stuff and threw out the case. Fight it and go in prepared and you should be fine :nice:

Guess I should post an update since this popped back up. :D

I went to our Dealership's new speed shop and asked one of the guys there about some Turbo mufflers.

He got me setup to go pick up some IMCO Turbo Mufflers for $21 a piece somewhere down on Roscoe Blvd. I went down to this hole-in-the-wall shop and picked em up and had them welded in at our speedshop for 40 bucks.

Took it back to the CHP station and the lady that failed me the first time heard the car and said "It's just as loud as before". I just looked at her and basically said, "Are you ****ing kidding me??? It's AT LEAST 50% quieter than when you heard it 2 days ago!"

Anyway, I got into a pretty heated argument with her which involved me relisting off the hundreds of dollars I've spent thus far getting it to their "standards", and that if she didn't pass me, I was taking it to a judge, and calling her in for neither bringing out a decible meter the first time I came in, or the time I was there at that point.

Then, she caved, saying, "Well, I can pass you, but you're just gonna get pulled over again anyway, so I think you're wasting your time." Me: "I don't care - I'll take my chances."

She signed it and walked off without even saying goodbye.

Anyway, ticket's paid for, and these mufflers are pretty damn NICE. :)

I've never even heard of IMCO before, but for turbo mufflers, I'm very impressed - no noticable loss of power, and even though they're pretty quiet at idle, they still rip if you get on them. If anyone needs to quiet down their ride for something like this, I highly recommend them - cheap and good.

Now that it's handled, I'm gonna enjoy the peace and quiet of driving my car for a week or two, and then I'm gonna buy some Spintech Prostreets. :nice:

Thank you to everyone who provided me advice on how to get around this - I appreciate it a lot :)

I worry about mine a little as well. With the stock shortblock it was relatively quiet but the new motor and combo are considerably louder. The entire exhaust system is Bassani and the cat-back is Quiet Thunder. I've still got the tail pipe inserts that I can put in but haven't tried them yet. I guess there's always the "steel wool in the tail pipe" trick to quiet things for inspection if it ever comes to that.

Glad you got it all worked out.