gear break-in question

cooter_11

Apr 22, 2005
GA
how bad is it to drive for an extended amount of time on the highway with newly installed gears?

I just installed my 3.90's last weekend and haven't been able to put many miles on them and I gotta drive from Savannah to Key West this weekend. I can't see how this could be healthy for them. If I put a couple hundred miles on them before I go, think I'll be alright?

• Sponsors (?)

They should be fine, allot of people talk about breaking in gears and I never did. I had 4.10s and was doing WOT runs within 10miles and my 3.73s the same. I had my 4.10s in for over 20k miles with no hiccups and my 3.73s for maybe 3k miles. I also drove for 2hrs straight @ 70mph the day after the 3.73s were put in.

Same here, when I got my 3.73's the first time I was at WOT a couple times and never had a problem with them. Some say you need to break them in and some don't. So it's however you feel really. Enjoy the gears though, they are fun:nice:

I have put in a lot of gears my self. I run them thru two warm-up/cool down cycles and beat the hell out of them(I tell this to all the people I put gears in also),never had a problem,never noisy. that being said...There is a recomended procedure,can't remember cause I do the above

I have put in a lot of gears my self. I run them thru two warm-up/cool down cycles and beat the hell out of them(I tell this to all the people I put gears in also),never had a problem,never noisy. that being said...There is a recomended procedure,can't remember cause I do the above

I think the guy who installed my gears did that same method you do. So I guess it works:nice: I did beat the hell out of them on my way home:D

I drove mine for probaly 8 miles or so, let it sit a few hours, drove another 8 miles maybe, let it sit overnight and the next morning I beat the ~~~~ out of it.

They whined from the second they got installed, and they still whine now, no damage done!!! lol.

But to answer your question... I have heard at LEAST 1 complete heating/cooling cycle before you beat on them.

yea you will be fine man. I was going to break in my gears for 100 miles like some guys recommended to me but that didnt happen lol. left the shop nicely then a mile down the road said screw this and nailed on it. its been about 40000 miles since the install and they are doing perfectly fine no whinning or anything.

yea you will be fine man. I was going to break in my gears for 100 miles like some guys recommended to me but that didnt happen lol. left the shop nicely then a mile down the road said screw this and nailed on it. its been about 40000 miles since the install and they are doing perfectly fine no whinning or anything.

Just couldn't wait could you.........................neither could I:rlaugh:

Sorry to hijack but what do you guys mean about "whine"? I am getting ready to do gears and i am confused about what "whine" means?

you would hear them whining in the rear end. some say it sort of sounds like a supercharger whining when you are accelerating. I myself have not listened to it before but i am sure you would know if your gears are whining cause it would be pretty audible im sure.