Gear change and mileage goes UP

goshia

Jul 1, 2005
Mead, Colorado
Changed my stock gear to 3.73 and now my milage has gone up 1 1.5 miles per gallon, that is an average after 5 tanks. Yes I calibrated my speedo with the Diablo Predator, so I am not traveling more miles on a poorly calibrated rear end gear ratio. There is a reason for the increase in gas milage. would you like to know why?

• Sponsors (?)

goshia said:
Changed my stock gear to 3.73 and now my milage has gone up 1 1.5 miles per gallon, that is an average after 5 tanks. Yes I calibrated my speedo with the Diablo Predator, so I am not traveling more miles on a poorly calibrated rear end gear ratio. There is a reason for the increase in gas milage. would you like to know why?

Less throttle needed to accelerate. + you have the ability to go into 5th at lower city speeds now.

Wrong on all accounts so far. No tire change between ring gears and pinion change...

Come on what could get you maore mileage from a gear ratio change. I know!!!!

And the driving habits are the same, okay maybe not the car is a lot funner to get on now....

I don't see why you are b1tching/need to know lol . Just be happy with the fact :) .

Plus, there are way other variables that could have caused your gas mileage to improve. Weather conditions, road conditions, etc

the98stang said:
I don't see why you are b1tching/need to know lol . Just be happy with the fact :) .

Plus, there are way other variables that could have caused your gas mileage to improve. Weather conditions, road conditions, etc
He says he knows, I think he wants us to guess...

I've read where guys get better gas mileage after a gear change. I've read responses about where they say that the motor doesn't have to work as hard to get into the power band. Those stock gears are for economy and all that other regulated crap. They are not really performance gears for the modular motor.

Mileage goes up when city driving since the engine is "usually" turning less rpms since you are more likely to select a higher gear (4th vs 3rd or 5th vs 4th) for the same speed (mph).

He is also telling us all that it is a rare performance mod that pays for itself. Sure, it may take a year or year and a half for it to completely pay off. I was wavering lately about it, but I think I'm game again. Hey goshia, where did you get yours and what did you pay? I think I saw JDM has them.

goshia said:
Wrong on all accounts so far. No tire change between ring gears and pinion change...

Come on what could get you maore mileage from a gear ratio change. I know!!!!

And the driving habits are the same, okay maybe not the car is a lot funner to get on now....

Im wondering if the OP is ever going to enlighten us with the answer to his little quiz. Especially since he did start the thread and all..

my mileage went up with 3.73 because I could stay in 5th going up hills, and there were a lot of hills on the way to work.

This is a stupid thread though