Gear help!

ahhjaws

Dec 31, 2003
Fort Collins, CO
Hey, I just got my 3.73 gears and Auburn posi installed last Thursday. I was trying to get them installed before my trip the next day. Well the trip was about 400 miles, and after that I found out that you shouldn't be going a constant speed in the break in period for new gears, which I did (interstate speeds)

3 days ago, there seems to be a poping coming from the rear every once and a while, going straight, usually when I let off on the gas when shifting. I sthat a bad sign? I'll have them checked out with my buddy next week anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

That popping noise during downshifting is most likely un-burnt fuel in the exhaust system. Harmless for the most part, but it will be much more pronounced with the 4.10s because you will decelerate faster. I wouldnt worry too much about it, if there is something wrong with your gear install you are going to hear whining.

i would say don't worry about it. i had become convinced for a short time that something was wrong with my car because of this. the popping sound is alot more pronounced now when u get off the throttle; i guess because of the higher rpms u are running at. if u have after-market mid pipe, it will make it even more pronounced. prochamber on mine does anyway. its just one more thing u have to get used to with gear swap. it's not the gears, gear whine will sound more like a giraffe dying in your back seat.