Gear Install Price

Hauuse96gt

Sep 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
A local mustang shop is trying to charge me 400 dollars for gears and the install. That seems way too high. Does anyone know what a good price? I saw a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I could not find it via search.

• Sponsors (?)

I paid a friend of mine $150 to put mine in as he has done quite few in the past. By the time you add in the cost of the gears, install kit, and fluids, you are at $400+ so if that price includes the gears and everything, go for it.

i have come to the conclusion as far as gear goes, I WILL pay more to get it done right. there seems to be way too much issue(not all of them. But many of them) with gear swap done by "my buddy's shop, who hooked me up" or "this guy who used to work at repairshop did it on weekend", or my dad knows this guy who'll do it for $200.." type of install.

those are usualy end up with whinne or some other issue, and usualy been told "thats normal for such steep gears" or some other crap.

if gear whinne, its because its NOT installed right. not because its 3.73 or 4.11 or made by someone other then FRPP. If its installed, and spaced correctly, IT WILL NOT WHINNE!

with that being said, I'm still looking for shop I can trust with gear install. Because i have 3.73 just sitting for the past 2 years, that I like to install...

ameration said:
I paid a friend of mine $150 to put mine in as he has done quite few in the past. By the time you add in the cost of the gears, install kit, and fluids, you are at $400+ so if that price includes the gears and everything, go for it.
So since you friend only charged that much you expect a Mustang shop to match his price? :scratch:

well i do all my own gear installs. Did them for my cars and for a few friends and none have returned to me for whine or any other malfunction, but a few have giving me a hard time during initial install but then corrected the back lash accordingly and they are set

I had my FRPP gears installed in my Mustang "after hours" by a ford tech for $200 cash + gear oil and any other parts. That was my 98GT

Now i have my new stang and installed Motive Gears THROUGH Ford (not after hours work, but the same tech did it). Price was $550 (all said and done)

Get it done by an independent place...NOT a dealership, and dont pay more than $300 labor. But average price is $250 i'd say.

well my dog has a friend who's uncles first wife was married to a guy who knew a guy that was friends with a ford mechanic who did it for 15 cents..

Ok If I read that right you are complaning about 400 bucks INCLUDING THE GEARS?? what do you expect people to install them for free. :p

I got mine installed for free because I did it myself. :p

The price here in Long Island NY seems to be very low, The largest Mustang Tuner/Builder we have in NY has a daily anytime special of $390.00 Parts and Labor. But there's even better pricing than that, for instance I just had my 4.10's installed last Monday for $325.00 Parts and Labor, (FRPP).

Rob_99GT said:
The price here in Long Island NY seems to be very low, The largest Mustang Tuner/Builder we have in NY has a daily anytime special of $390.00 Parts and Labor. But there's even better pricing than that, for instance I just had my 4.10's installed last Monday for $325.00 Parts and Labor, (FRPP).

there is always going to be somebody that finds a better deal.. in a month you will read in this thread

" I found this shop that PAID me 300 dollars to install some FFRP 4.10's in my car.

400 including gears is a pretty good price I would just go with that.