General Mods?

Hi all, a good friend of mine just bought a 2002 GT. Im sure he's gonna be looking for more power soon enough, so what are the most affective bolt-ons for these cars? And with any luck, will a catback from a fox fit?
Thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

Car RamRod said:
Hi all, a good friend of mine just bought a 2002 GT. Im sure he's gonna be looking for more power soon enough, so what are the most affective bolt-ons for these cars? And with any luck, will a catback from a fox fit?
Thanks alot

The first and almost best Bolt-on mods on his GT should be
Steeda Underdrive pulleys.
aftermarket shifter
gears 3.73 or 4.10
o/r X or H pipe
and good traction ...suspention.

those are the mods that he should go with 1st , in my opinion :nice:

Car RamRod said:
Thanks alot
I guess no to the cat back.

As for mods, well that depends on bhp expectations and money.

If they have the dosh then the best single mod would be a supercharger - but its gonna cost.

Realistically a new mid pipe and catback will be worthwhile as they are affordable and offer some gains as well as the GRIN factor.

Unless looking to make a racer stick with stock manifolds (headers) and a catted mid pipe either X or H, then you'll have no worries about emmsions and the performance loss really isn't that great on a relatively stock engine.

Then gears (ie rear diff ratio) this will make it feel a lot faster SOTP although not an actual increase in BHP.

Air intake relatively cheep and should imporve throttle response and maybe some extra power.

And a good tune.

Do some reaserch though as some mods don't work well with others and if a blower is in the pipe line then mods now might cause problems later on.

christiesledd said:
the first mod i did had nothing to do with performance.. i went and fkn lowered it, damn 4x4

not a bad mod. I would have done the cat-back first though :nice:
Ironically I didn't do the cat-back myself though, lol. My 1st three mods came all at once: 8" bullit antenna, Bullit Pedals, and a Mach 1 Grille Delete. I dont remember why I did those first :scratch: I must have been low on money and figured I would do them down the road eventually, and it was the only mod I could afford at the time i guess :shrug: :rlaugh:

I had the mod bug :D

In this order.

Drop in K&N
Springs
Shifter
Mid-pipe
Catback
3.73's or 4.10's
SCT Chip, calibrate your Speedo and add some timing.
Drag Radial
Underdrive Pulley's (if disposable money is available).

Other than that, do the mods above and then start saving for a SC'er.

Everything else will nickel and dime you to death for minimal gains.

Cheers,
Allen

BigAlMo said:
In this order.

Drop in K&N - not really worth the money will see about 0 gains, if your going to do the air filter go the whole way for an induction kit or stay stock
Springs - on their own are pretty pointless, if your modding the suspension do it right! Try some of the Steeda kits or Evolution Motorsport, to make it handle you'll be wanting a Watts Linkage or Panhard Rod.
Shifter - Good mod, MGW, Steeda & Pro 5.0 all seem popular
Mid-pipe - Again good option, X or H go for stainless and keep the cats, they're more hassel to remove than their worth in HP, unless building a track only car. But then you wouldn't be looking at these anyhow.
Catback - Get a stainless one it will pay for its self in time.
3.73's or 4.10's - :nice:
SCT Chip, calibrate your Speedo and add some timing. - :nice:
Drag Radial - If you're not going to the track don't bother as they will be a compromise for road use, especially if it rains and/or gets cold where you are.
Underdrive Pulley's (if disposable money is available). - Should show some small gains but not worth it IMO. If your looking at a blower in the future you will likely have to reverse this mod if done.

Other than that, do the mods above and then start saving for a SC'er. - :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: This is what you want to do, even at the sacrifice of some of the other bolt on mods.

Everything else will nickel and dime you to death for minimal gains. - True, although don't forget BRAKES, with lots of power you'll need them.

Cheers,
Allen

:banana: :)

thanks for all the help guys. I know he's not looking to go very far with it at all, he just wants some extra hp. I was talkin like intake/ exhaust and pullies, so now atleast I have a good idea of what works well. He'll never go with nitrous or f/i. If I ever convince him to do this stuff, Ill drop in and double check on everything.
Thanks alot

Car RamRod said:
Thanks alot

Try here:
Five Components to a 12 second N/A GT:
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1877

And also, read the FAQ pages (sticky's) at the top of every forum. There are good morsels of information there. :nice: