Get a V6 now or wait?

Metatrox

Jul 5, 2009
Ok I dont have the money to afford the GT payment a month so I would like to go with the V6. Its mainly my daily driver. I do plan on maybe looking into a supercharger.

But my question is should i wait until next year to see if there is a V6 update also?

• Sponsors (?)

Wait till you can afford it. When buying a brand new car, many only get to make the decision once in a life time. You'll kick yourself for "settling" for a V6 when only the torque of the GT will do. Blower or not, in the end, its still going to be just your moms car with a little bit of pizzazz. Nobody buys a V6 Mustang because they want to.

Those are some very valid points.

From what I hear from the V6 owners, their insurance premiums and gas mileage isn't far off from what I'm (GT owner) paying for those.
So the only benefit to the V6 is the initial cost, which can be compensated if you wait.

If you're a performance freak like almost everyone here, I'd save your pennies for the GT. While for the most part gearbanger is correct, there are many many more v6 mustangs on the road than GT's and they are the more popular choice for people who just want a mustang to be in one. Gas mileage is close, but is still different. And the insurance for me was definitely way cheaper. And I'm married and over 25.

In conclusion - If you have to ask, wait and save for the GT.

The only V6 i'd consider is if they put the Ecoboost 365HP V6 in the Mustang.

However, in my opinion, the whole point of buying a Mustang is the V8 engine. If i couldn't afford a V8 version, i would just move on or wait until i could swing it.

Not to mention all the other drivetrain and suspension improvements that you'd get along with purchasing a V8 rather than a V6 and having to do it all yourself. You'd probably spend less money in the long run to go faster with the V8 even though the initial cost is higher, but worth what you get, if performance is what you want. And my first stang back in the day was a 2001 V6 and I know that the 3.8L V6 was different than the 4.0 but seriously in real world driving gas mileage is not going to be a huge difference, and depending on your age neither is insurance.

Alright, well I hope i can find something in the right price in Albuquerque NM this weekend. Top of my list is a Mustang GT but I am willing to settle with another car in the same speed/price range.

yea i'm 24 and I've already ordered my 2010 gt premium-I was in a similar plight regarding V6 or v8, but when it comes down to it, you live once my friend. V8 is def worth it, V6 is nice, but the GT is worth it. Just save as much as you can to put a nice down payment on it or just wait till mid 2010, then there will be some preused 2010gt's hopefully. But def not easy waiting.

If you can handle waiting until next year, there are rumors circulating that the 5.0 and 3.7 will be in the stang. Both are being rumored to have BIG power advantages over current engines.

I would not buy a 4.0 V6 unless I planned some kind of FI, the engine is just too old technologically speaking. The 3.5 duratec bests it easily, and if the 3.7 does come next year, I would be kicking myself.