Going into the Air Force soon *help*

hurdlinmasta

Dec 25, 2004
Ok, I will be in the Air Force soon. It has 6 weeks of basic training and 9 months of tech training back to back. So basically my car will be stored for 10 months and 2 weeks. I need to know what I can do to store it properly. Also, NONE of my family know how to drive stick, so its not like they can drive it once in a while. It will basically be sitting for that long. Any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a garage just have a family member start it and let it run for a bit, that should hold it for basic, you're allowed to have a car during tech school. I was in the Navy and my wife is in the Air Force so if there is any questions you have just let me know. good luck bud!

T1ckT0ck said:
If you have a garage just have a family member start it and let it run for a bit, that should hold it for basic, you're allowed to have a car during tech school. I was in the Navy and my wife is in the Air Force so if there is any questions you have just let me know. good luck bud!

Ya i just talked with my recruiter, the AF tech school is in Texas aint it? San Antonio? He says if its over 6 months i should be able to. Im looking at being a Flight Engineer. Would i have to drive to texas? Or would i be able to ship it?

i used to be in the air force. u can take it to tech school. not sure where ur school will be, there are a few bases that have schools. i went to sheppard. also in texas. there are a couple more. but u will have to drive it. or get someone to bring to u on a trailer. but i dont think the military will pay for it. just as ticktock said have some one crank it about once a week. should be fine.

I'm willing to do anything going to serve our country. I'll gladly hold onto the car for you, maintain it, drive it a bit to make sure the engine does not rust, the t ires do not go bald, or anythign else bad.

I support our troops!
:flag: :flag: :flag:

Yah key thing is making sure someone starts it up once a week. Try to store it in a garage. I made the mistake of leaving my explorer outside...came back from Iraq and the paint looked like krap (snow).

Good choice btw....Air Force chicks are hot :nice: I made the mistake of going in the 82nd with a bunch of ugly gorillas haha. Good luck :nice:

Same here...except SF tech school is only about 4 months. From what I've read/been told, you will be allowed to drive or have a personal vehicle at about phase 3 of tech school (which is about 2 months or so for me). I'll be in tech school at Christmas time and I know they'll let you go home for a week or two (if you want to)...so I'll be driving my car back after X-mas. At least that's the plan.

My Mom does know how to drive a manual (she'll hate the spec stg III though :D ) so I'll ask her to take it around the neighborhood every week or two while I'm gone.

And even if nobody at home knows how to drive a manual...it's not hard to teach someone, especially if all they have to do is drive it for 5 minutes once a week. Give it a shot, they'll be able to take care of it while you're away.

hurdlinmasta said:
Ya i just talked with my recruiter, the AF tech school is in Texas aint it? San Antonio? He says if its over 6 months i should be able to. Im looking at being a Flight Engineer. Would i have to drive to texas? Or would i be able to ship it?

Not sure exactly where the tech school is located I will ask my wife, I would drive it to TX I *think* the air force only allows you one vehicle move per enlistment (overseas being the exception) if I remember right. The military pays for most of the expenses for the drive so you pretty much just looking at time and mileage.

Definitely take the car to tech school. CONUS moves, you have to drive the car. The problem is whether or not you leave Lackland for tech school. If you do, it might be considered a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) when you go to tech school, therefore you can take your car and get paid mileage. If the school is considered a TDY, mileage might not be covered because the max they will give u is the cost of a plane ticket between where you are currently stationed to the TDY duty. Ask how I know.......just spent three months at Lackland for Logistics Readiness Officer school and all I got for driving between Miami to San Antonio and back was $610!!!

Good choice joining the AF, I've been in for 13 + years, although a reservist the last five, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Best of Luck,

Luis

PCS-Permanent Change of Station TDY-Temporary Duty, It will be considered a PCS move by the way and you are authorized payment of mileage, meals and hotels to get from your training station to your school. You need to make sure you are allowed a vehicle however otherwise it could go into a lockdown lot until you graduate. Also you should be allowed to take leave after your basic (weather or not you do is up to you) otherwise they will give you a plane ticket to get from duty station A to duty station B. If you park it for that long put STABIL in your gas tank so that you dont screw up your engine.