Going to dyno test the "Tornado air" on a stock 5.0

2Tone5.0

Oct 11, 2007
Philadelphia
A friend of mine is going to let me get a few pulls on the dyno. So what im going to do is 2 pulls without the tornardo and 2 pulls with it on.

I'm going to use it on my 90gt that is stock with 25k miles on it. I know these things don't work, but its always great to figure things out on your own. A friend of mine is also an automotive engineer. He is going to use the results for a paper/report on air induction for combustion engines.

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts or tips going into this.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I'll be watching this one too, haha. Remember to limit as many variables as you can. Control, consistency, and the ability to replicate your results is the key to doing good science. Post up results when you're through.

How much are those things anyway? I remember when they first came out, i called up with some buddies asking if i could buy one for my Dodge Viper. :) They told me I needed TWO @ $75 each!

But they also said i'd gain like 50HP!

It doesn't. The air swirls for maybe a couple inches...until it hits the TB blade and enters the plenum

According to their site

Tornado fuel saver, gas saver, improves fuel economy

Q: How does the Tornado work?

A: The Tornado swirls the incoming air, literally mixing the air and fuel together more efficient. A more efficient mixture means a more efficient burn.

which is a bunch of BS considering the amount of intake plenum between the tornado and the fuel injector.

If i had to guess, you'll see a 1-3HP LOSS due to the POS sitting in your intake trac.

ive seen pics of those things after they get sucked into the TB, it isnt pretty.

So make sure you get the carnage... er expieriment on video.

Are you putting it before or after the MAF? Mabye if you put it befored the MAF it would fixx a surging idle :scratch:

On a carb'ed or CFI/TBI type motor, I could see this as MAYBE having some POTENTIAL kind of effect because it would be close enough to the actual mix point to actually do something to improve the atomization of the air/fuel mixture. But as stated, on a standard EFI multi-injector system, the air gets split off via a TB and then off to 8 individual cylinder ports before it even reaches the injectors - by then, any "swirl" effect is completely gone.

I have one of them in my Explorer I got for free lol. Didn't notice any difference

My Buddy gave me one for my old 88 VW Golf, I am sure I lost power after installing it because the car would climb a 2 mile hill in 5th gear without it and I had to downshift to 4th with it in, I think it was nothing more than an Intake Hose Restriction!