Going to GINGERMAN

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Hey guyz, I'm going to gingerman road course Oct. 22 in Michigan. Its a 1.8 mi. road course and the event they are holding there keeps your insurance valid unlike most other racing. If anyone is intrested check out there website. Unfortuantely I dont have too many details as my friend is registering me but if you have any questions I will ask him for you.

As far as the check list goes lemme know if I'm forgetting something:

1. Oil Change (its been 5 months since last one)

2. Brake pads are good and fluid is fresh.

3. Diff fluid is a couple of years old (but then again arent we supposed to change that every 100k miles?

4. Check torque on all wheel lugs

5. Tranny fluid less than a year old.

6. Tune up...several months ago

7. Coolant is about a year old (possibly change?)

Again lemme know if I'm forgetting anything.

Oh one more thing, I was considering putting on my off road H-pipe because I dont wanna mess up my bassani x w/ cats if i go off the road. Also, all that racing cant be good for the cats (unnescessary wear) plus I have never heard the car with an off road pipe :D . Do you think I would gain hp from the off road pipe or not (just curious). Also, there is a small hole in the h pipe (about the size of a nickel) its rusty there so welding is not really an option...is there any quick fix mend I can get at the store for this situation? Sorry for the long post...just lemme know. Thanks guyz.

• Sponsors (?)

You better make sure the Pads are NEW! I tore through a set of what I thought was a good set of front pads in a weekend of racing @ Gingerman! I did about 75 laps. What a blast! As for your diff fluid you NEED to change it, a lot more than 100.000 miles! I would use syn gear oil as well. Bleed your brakes good. With the new pads and some new fluid you should be good!
Do away with the cats! What tires you running?

I'm going on the 27th, and I've taken the stang a couple times there already. Its a fun time, and its a very safe track as long as you drive sanely.

Def plan on getting new brakes, make sure all susp components are up to par, and dont try to be a pro on your first lap. Take it slow & easy, driving precise & not upsetting the car is more important than entry/exit speed.

And remember, slow in fast out!! :)

I have tons of pad life front and rear not sure what kinda rear pads I have on (assuming there some cheapo things, worst case) I have the baer track package up front (basically the cobra pbr front brakes) with whatever pads they came with. I believe its the hawk hps (hipo street) pads. The brake fluid is only 2-3 months old. I bled the system and switched to ate blue before autocrossing late this summer. Diff fluid is synthetic and about a year or two old. My tires are gonna kill me though...I'm running kumho estaca 712's 255/40/17 all around. There ok but not enough for my car. I can spin them in second by floring it at like 30-40 mph. First is useless. I can lock them up pretty easy too when braking. But I couldent bear to get rid of a perfectly good set of tires so after 2+ years of use and this track event there gonna get dumped (and the car getting covered for the winter). I plan on getting a new set of wheels and 275/40/17 nitto 555rII's next year. Anyone have any experience with them yet? Also what kinda tires do you guyz run? And also, what speed do you guyz take the corner between the back and front straight and how fast do you get on the front straight?

P.S. If anyones interested in going you can sign up at www.speedtrialsusa.com its like $135 bux. Just make sure you can pass tech.

I can usually get to about 97-100mph before turn 11. If I had better brakes I could get a little faster but I always brake early for 11. I can get to the top of 3rd (about 90mph) before turn 1, and I can also get to 90mph between 3 & 5, as I dont lift at all for turn 4.

I probably take #11 at about 50mph, but it really depends on your susp setup what you can handle.

And I run 275/40/17 Nitto 555's up front, and 315/35/17 Nitto dr's out back. They hold up well, and next time I am gonna get the R2's up front.

Wow I wish I had that much traction! But DR's in the back must be a bit awkward...but I wouldent know. It seems you have a pretty stock susp. also. I was told I should be able to hit between 120-130 on the front straight....well see :rolleyes:

The Nitto's are surprisingly stiff once you get them up to 45psi. I dont get much sidewall flex, mostly because my susp isnt good enough to really push them.

And you'd need alot more than 350hp or so to get to 130mph on the straight. The back straight is all about exit speed from turn 10.

The wide rears allow me to get into the power sooner, but it does tend to understeer a bit more (more traction in back than up front = push).

I really need to get a better susp setup to limit bodyroll. Also some power for the straights would be nice. :)

WOW 45 psi in the nittos on a road course. I'd be worried about a blow out with the heat you'd generate in those things. I used to run about that much in my front tires when I went autocrossing (on my 40 series kumhos-can you say stiff) and a bit less in the rears cuz I desperately needed traction. But autocrossing is just short quick bursts and your back in line. This is a good length of time of abuse and very high speeds. Id be worried about that every minute. Man I wish I had installed my panhard bar this summer. I said I was going to install it asap on this forum last year when I got it and its still sitting in my garage... somewhere ...:rolleyes: :bang: .