going to port lower

88mustangGT

Apr 6, 2003
first i need to say yes i have used the search and it helped out alot. i still have a few questions

i have basically brand new lower sitting here with me on my desk and am going to port it. i have read that people have to weld, im assuming they weld the 1 and 5 ports due to going threw the wall on the under side, is this correct? if so can the puddle welds be put on before hand. i ask because tomorrow i have a welding class and i could do that tomorrow and have all weekend to port it out.

tools, i have a dremal with e snake thingy, should i buy a die grinder from lows for 20 bucks? also what kind of bits should i get and where’s a good place?

also tips on porting are very appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can TIG weld a puddle at the dog leg before you port. It really does not matter if you do it before or after. I prefer to do it after cause in your case what if you make the puddle and still go through lets say next to the puddle you. Thus you would have to re-TIG it again.

T.J.

intakejig6.jpg

oh i didnt know thats what dog leg referd to i thought it was a part of it. should i get a die grinder ? or will a dremal be sufficant? if im gona get a die grinder i need to leave in 20 min the store closes

88mustangGT said:
oh i didnt know thats what dog leg referd to i thought it was a part of it. should i get a die grinder ? or will a dremal be sufficant? if im gona get a die grinder i need to leave in 20 min the store closes
you will need a die grinder, it is a good i dead to do the little tig weld, i know when i ported my stock lower i went through :bang: Get it welded and take your time :nice:

Weld it before (TIG wld it) and put a puddle in there that fills the back of the knee and down the runner to the injector boss and you'll be golden, because if you break through, you cant puddle into a hole. You can get a cheap die grinder from Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) and buy your bits from here - www.carbidebur.com
Get a cone shaped aluminum bit that is about 1/2" long for rough cuts and a "double cut" cone bit the same size for finish cuts. Use spray lube on the double cut every 10 sedonds or so and your finish cuts will be nice and smooth.

is there such thing as putting to much of a tig weld on there, will it interfear with anything?

i already started with my dremal ya the bits get so hot the stones fall off the rod then it becomes useless. it is fun doing this project though :) i would like to have some advise on where to tig weld it. i know it makes sence to go threw first then tig it but i wont be in my welding class till the 5th after tomarow. i have to have 4 teath pulled next thurs, so i would like to have it pre welded tomarow so i can hone that fcker out this weekend

don't get your bits from HF - use Carbide Bur. No, you can't really get "too much" puddle in there, but buildup the area where the runner exposed top meets the lower flange - that little cove - build it up about 1/16 of an inch from about 3/8" above the back of the "knee" down to the injector boss.

2 more questions, where can i get good bits without ordering off the net? and what size of gasket should i get to match up to?

i got a die grinder today:) my first powertool that i bought its a fun little tool for 20 bucks

tmoss said:
Weld it before (TIG wld it) and put a puddle in there that fills the back of the knee and down the runner to the injector boss and you'll be golden, because if you break through, you cant puddle into a hole. You can get a cheap die grinder from Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) and buy your bits from here - www.carbidebur.com
Get a cone shaped aluminum bit that is about 1/2" long for rough cuts and a "double cut" cone bit the same size for finish cuts. Use spray lube on the double cut every 10 sedonds or so and your finish cuts will be nice and smooth.

I disagree you cannot puddle into a hole. I just did this the other day. Takes some skill but I filled in a .500 hole in the intake you see above. If you have an MSC near you they carry carbide burrs.
T.J.

T.J. 87-GT said:
I disagree you cannot puddle into a hole. I just did this the other day. Takes some skill but I filled in a .500 hole in the intake you see above. If you have an MSC near you they carry carbide burrs.
T.J.

You got molten aluminum to hold in a 1/2" hole? Your the only guy I know who can do that - more to the point - why bother when you can weld it before hand. Why makes things harder than they need to be??????????????

In answer to the question where is the dog leg - it's connected to the dog hip. I apologize in advance - obviously way too much time on my hands.

Any pictures of this 'puddle weld' - I'm having a hard time visualizing what the issue is/where it's occurring.

Mike, the runners tht have a curve have a "knee". I weld up the back of the knee with about 1/16" additional aluminum depth from about 1/8" above the back of the knee down to the injector boss.