Going With TFS-Additional Upgrades?

Going With TFS-Additional Upgrades Needed?

Alright, I decided to go with the Trick Flow H/C/I package TFS-K514-350-370. My only question is what additional things should I add. I have a 75mm pro-m w/19lb injectors. Should I upgrade. Should I get a new fuel pump, and which one, and what size throttle body...65 or 70. I would really appreciate your guys feedback.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The 19's may work but they'll be at their limits for sure. You would probably have to raise the fuel pressure to make the act bigger. If you're staying with this combo and not doing much more stuff down the road, 24's would be fine.

Go with a 75mm tb, longtube headers and a 255 pump. Do a new fuel filter while you're there.

That meter is fine as along as the its calibrated for the injectors. I would suggest not using TFS valve covers as they are tall. A spacer may be needed. Go to www.andersonfordmotorsport.com and get there $68.50 chrome valve covers. A spacer will not be needed with these. Get a 75MM TB like mentioned. If the mileage is high then do the timing chain since your right there. Get a 255LPH fuel pump. If you haven't changed the headers now is the time.

yeah, the TFS valve covers won't clear the intake. So use stock VC's if you are keeping your stock rockers.

If you are upgrading your rockers, you need the TFS vc's which mean you need the 3/8" spacer, which means you need to make an adapter for the EGR if you keep it. That's what i did.
Scott

I thought the TFS kit came with a timing chain and gear set?

A new fuel pump, bigger injectors (with a matched maf) are pretty much a neccessity. A throttle body is NOT needed at this point. You might as well do headers while the heads are off, makes installation a BREEZE. An AFPR (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) would probably be a good idea too.

I went with the Track Heat combo and the chain came with it. I think the forgot the gasket but oh well. Amen on the 3/8 spacer for th intake. You will need the elbow off of the upper intake to the throttle body. Good luck with the set up....:D

Repeating what everyone else said, but,

With my TF setup I did:
255lph pump (mrfuelpump on ebay, $94 shipped)
24lb Ford injectors
76mm MAF
new fuel filter
new water pump
new clutch
3/8" intake spacer
changed my headers
and I plan on a 70 or 75mm TB, and I also REALLY want a TF intake.

Runs AWESOME. Sucks in winter though, no traction. I'm also thinking about upgrading my radiator; it runs a tad warm now, and it's cold outside.

Edit: I also deleted EGR, smog, and A/C.

The TFS engine kit comes with EVERYTHING except for new lifters. The valve covers will fit with no issues. They are shorties, not tall.

70mm TB is big enough. No need for 75mm. 24lb injectors is perfect and definately go 255lph fuel pump.

Good luck and enjoy!

Maybe get some new lifters while you are at it. Never an easier time, but then again, you can wait and see if they are worn when you get the top end apart.

I strongly urge you to think about headers now, especially LT. As said above, now is the easiest time to do them.

You'll need some tools (fuel line separator, cant think of others right now) - Oh, and you'll want a Haynes manual (if you don't already have it). The TFS instructions leave a bunch out.

Do some clean up stuff while you are at it too, if you have the budget. Like replace the pcv valve and grommet, put in an oil separator, water pump, thermostat, etc. Your gonna have all this off, so now is an easy time to do it. (but watch the budget)

You might want to think about swaping in a different cam. The cam in the TFS kit was designed for fox mustangs, and can give our computers fits. There are plenty who used it, and have good results. But I went with the B-31 cam from AFM, and I have a pretty good idle with no chip or tune. Call Trickflow's and AFM's tech lines to talk about cams (well or a good custom cam maker). Trickflow even swapped in an intake elbow and spacer since I dropped their cam out of the kit, and whatever they added actually put me ahead of the game a bit in price.

See my sig for everything I did with my TFS HCI.

MysticKeith50 said:
guys sorry, one more question. with this head, is there any special spark plugs i should use, or doesn't ti matter?
The TFS tech told me that your spark plug recommendation goes with your ignition. So if you have stock ignition (shouldn't need more yet), then the same plugs you always have used.

I think there is a list of recommended plugs in the instructions that come in the kit.

The TFS doesn't come with rockers. He might want to upgrade those while he's at it. I wouldn't want to use the stock ones on a motor spinning to 6k, but that's just me.

If he goes stud mount, I doubt those valve covers will clear.

EDIT: I used Autolite 24's for my TW heads.

CManT1914 said:
The TFS doesn't come with rockers. He might want to upgrade those while he's at it. I wouldn't want to use the stock ones on a motor spinning to 6k, but that's just me.

If he goes stud mount, I doubt those valve covers will clear.

EDIT: I used Autolite 24's for my TW heads.

Yes....the kit comes with new 1.6 rockers.

The only thing it doesn't come with are new lifters. Everything else is in the box.

:nice:

SUPRCHRGD302 said:
Yes....the kit comes with new 1.6 rockers.
View attachment 490708

Look in the bottom right.
tfs-k514-360-350.jpg

Maybe you were thinking of the lifters? (Oh hey look, there's the timing chain - guess that did come with the kit)

BTW, I thought of one other thing you need to get that is NOT in the kit. You will need an oil fill neck. The TFS valve covers do not have a fill neck, and for some stupid reason, TFS don't include one in the kit. So order one of those.

Call TFS or Summit Racing tech line and ask them the same question about what else you might need or want. I talked to both of those lines a number of times when I was building. And except for one unhelpful troll I talked with once (and only once - I don't think he was really supposed to be answering the phone) they were incredibly helpful.

Attachments

• tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 76
GRGT1994 said:
View attachment 490704

Look in the bottom right.
tfs-k514-360-350.jpg

Maybe you were thinking of the lifters? (Oh hey look, there's the timing chain - guess that did come with the kit)

BTW, I thought of one other thing you need to get that is NOT in the kit. You will need an oil fill neck. The TFS valve covers do not have a fill neck, and for some stupid reason, TFS don't include one in the kit. So order one of those.

Call TFS or Summit Racing tech line and ask them the same question about what else you might need or want. I talked to both of those lines a number of times when I was building. And except for one unhelpful troll I talked with once (and only once - I don't think he was really supposed to be answering the phone) they were incredibly helpful.

Good call! :nice:

Correct, i forgot to mention that....lol. Why they wouldn't include that in the kit is beyond me.

Attachments

• tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    tfs-k514-360-350.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 66