Got a Monster Tach? come on in...

cobra2798

Mar 30, 2005
Clermont, Florida
I just got my autometer sportcomp monster tach. I understand the install directions they give you but when it comes to the light and power wires that need to go to a 12v source im not sure where to put them. I suck with electrical stuff so if someone could tell me where to run the power wires(power & light) I would really appreciate it. thanks guys.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

depends.. when do you want the backlight of the tach to come on... all the time? only when the parking / headlights are on?

As far as the power for the tach, i wired mine into the fuse block on a fuse that is powered when the key is in the on position, then wired the tach light to my headlight wires so the backlight came on when the parking / headlights came on.

You can get a fuse that has a wire coming off of it already and splice it onto there so it will plug right into an open spot on your fusebox

depends.. when do you want the backlight of the tach to come on... all the time? only when the parking / headlights are on?

As far as the power for the tach, i wired mine into the fuse block on a fuse that is powered when the key is in the on position, then wired the tach light to my headlight wires so the backlight came on when the parking / headlights came on.

You can get a fuse that has a wire coming off of it already and splice it onto there so it will plug right into an open spot on your fusebox

It dont really matter to me when the backlight is on as long as it is off when I turn the car off. How do I know which fuse is a key on fuse?

get a test light, and with 1 hand probe each open fuse. take the other hand and use it to actuate your key into the on & off positions. just find one that makes the test light go on and off when the key is in that respective position. Im sure someone will come in here and tell you an easier way, but thats how i did it.

I did mine like this

Ground----went to ground
red----went to a switched power in the fuse pannel
white----splice in with the dimmer switch fuse (the tach even dims if you want)
green----went to the coil harness to the green wire with the yellow stripe

The easiest possible way is to tap into the radio harness and run you switched power for radio to power tach and tap into the back light power to the radio and use that to turn on and off backlight this is a little better way other than just picking any fuse in the fuse block and its right there less mess and everthing is fuse all ready.

I just got a 5inch autometer tach and was thumbing thru the instructions and noticed it says warranty void if hooked up to MSD ignition system. Is there a reason for that? Will it damage the tach? I have MSD Dizzy,Blaster 2 coil, and 6AL box.

The easiest possible way is to tap into the radio harness and run you switched power for radio to power tach and tap into the back light power to the radio and use that to turn on and off backlight this is a little better way other than just picking any fuse in the fuse block and its right there less mess and everthing is fuse all ready.

:stupid: I did it that way and I can even dim the light on my tach and brighten them to where I like it, and trust me, if you have a Autometer C2 tach, you will not want it at its brightest. I have all my C2 gauges hooked up this way and have worked fine for 2 years.