Got new mass air in but have a ? please help

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
Ok well I just got in my new pmas 80mm mass air and love the way it looks. Ok I have it installed on the car right now and it feels pretty good. The question I have is should I disconnect the battery so the computer will reset and help with the install on the new mass air? If so does it matter which side I take off? I have also had a custom dyno tuned diablo chip burned for my computer, If I disconnect the battery it wont mess everything up will it? I mean the computer will still remember the tune that it had right? The reason why I am asking is because when I got my car dyno tuned it had the factory mass air meter sensor which is calibrated for 19lb injectors right. Well I had put in bigger 24lb injectors since my rebuild and didn't know that I had done this bad thing and my tuner tuned every thing as if it was all 19lb stuff so that is why I am asking if I should disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

As it says on the instructions included with the meter you do need to disconnect the Negative (-) Batttery Terminal, And no you wont lose the tune on a custom chip, you should leave it disconnected for 20-30min.

mustanglouie said:
Ok well I just got in my new pmas 80mm mass air and love the way it looks. Ok I have it installed on the car right now and it feels pretty good. The question I have is should I disconnect the battery so the computer will reset and help with the install on the new mass air? If so does it matter which side I take off?

Yes ... doing a pcm reset would be a good thing to do :nice:

About the battery cable disco thing ........

No ... technically it makes no never-mind which side you disco
however
Its safer to disco the neg side first to prevent the event that .........
makes you piss in your britches :rlaugh:

You can do a fast & nasty pcm reset with these steps ...........
1) disco the neg batt cable
2) turn on the head lights for about 5 to 10 seconds
3) turn off the head lights
4) reconnect the cable

You are all good to go :D

Nothing wrong with the 20 to 30 min method as well :nono:

I have also had a custom dyno tuned diablo chip burned for my computer, If I disconnect the battery it wont mess everything up will it? I mean the computer will still remember the tune that it had right?

Everything will be cool and nothing is gonna blow up ;)

The reason why I am asking is because when I got my car dyno tuned it had the factory mass air meter sensor which is calibrated for 19lb injectors right.

Wrong ... Factory Ford OEM mafs are NOT caled for any particular size of inj's. Mafs caled for a certain size inj is a method used by aftermarket maf manufactures.

This info is given just to keep things accurate
and
for this thread ...... we really don't need to go there :)

You are correct ... the stock maf, pcm, and 19lb inj's are setup to work together.

Well I had put in bigger 24lb injectors since my rebuild and didn't know that I had done this bad thing

I looked at your combo ... thanks for the sig you provided :nice: ... and I see your moving to larger inj's as a good thing :D

and my tuner tuned every thing as if it was all 19lb stuff so that is why I am asking if I should disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Thanks for the help.

I just could not comment about this part as I have no idea what he did or did not do :shrug:

Look at my sig ;)

Notice I was running 30's and the oem stock maf :crazy:

When you can talk to the pcm ......
you have more .......... lots more options :nice:

Maybe that will give you some kind of idea about us not knowing what he could have done :shrug:

Again ... Yes ... Reset the pcm :)

Grady