Gotta love 68-degree road course track days in Feb :D

MFE92

10 Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Phoenix
Here's video from an event Saturday with N.A.S.A. AZ at Arizona Motorsports Park. We don't get to use this track much because after the millionaire who owns it built it, the residents of the housing development a mile away (in the shadow of Luke AFB) had it shut down because they thought it was too loud. 8 years later it's showing signs of life, but it's noise-limited and nobody but drivers and event staff can be on site. So it was a pretty chill day without a million people on track.

The car ran great, and I got to have some fun with some much higher-powered cars (2010 Camaro SS) and better power-to-weight cars (E46 and E90 M3's). And I got to practice my accident-avoidance skills when one of the 5 guys shaking down their LeMons-racer Audi Quattro moved over on me as I was making a pass. Turns out his mirror was broken and he couldn't see any, ANY, of the left rear 1/4 of his car. Thanks for taking it on track anyway, chief View attachment 154974

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I've ridden many laps around Mid-Ohio on my race bikes, but never in a car. I don't think I could stand the thought of running my car off the track lol....so I'll stick with the straight line stuff.

Sweet vid by the way. How much does the torque arm/panhard bar really improve the rear? A good improvement or more like a "WTF was Ford thinking?"....lol.

It made such a difference I had to re-learn how to drive the car. I had to learn how to trust it again. I can do things with it that would have made me spin before. It didn't make me instantly faster, because again, I had to learn where its new limits were, but it became way easier and less taxing to drive.

That's a sectioned GT500 vent in the hood to try to keep temps down.

proautosportsFIREast10-22-11.png

PIR.png

PIR2.png

GT500hoodvent2.jpg

We has MULTIPLE places to do road coarse in the PNW as well. In fact a brand new one was just built... as soon as I get better brakes I will be joining the ranks... now if someone could just eliminate the rain...

We've got Brainerd International Raceway (BIR) here which is a nice road course, and there's also Elko speedway which is an 1/8th mile oval. The problem with Elko is you can run on the oval but you don't know who you'll be up against and some of the tool-sheds that go to those things show up in rusted out old CRX's and could care less if they plowed into you. Therefore, I say away from Elko unless I'm spectating.

I'd like to get up to BIR this year and try some real road racing, but it's always tough to find the time and the $600 for food, lodging, gas and entry fees as BIR is about 2.5 hours away from Minneapolis.

We've got Brainerd International Raceway (BIR) here which is a nice road course, and there's also Elko speedway which is an 1/8th mile oval. The problem with Elko is you can run on the oval but you don't know who you'll be up against and some of the tool-sheds that go to those things show up in rusted out old CRX's and could care less if they plowed into you. Therefore, I say away from Elko unless I'm spectating.

I'd like to get up to BIR this year and try some real road racing, but it's always tough to find the time and the $600 for food, lodging, gas and entry fees as BIR is about 2.5 hours away from Minneapolis.
I always just stay at my house and eat my food since I am only 8 miles from Portland International Raceway :shrug: :nice:

I used to drive 2.5 hours to Mid-America Motorplex in Omaha when I lived in KC, drive on the track for the day, and drive home. Long day, but entry fees were usually about $150 and gas would cost me $150 tops. No reason why you need to stay overnight, and beleive me, 1 day is plenty :D

$150 for a track day ain't bad. Mid-Ohio is $195 for a motorcycle track day...I imagine about the same for cars. Don't even get me started on racing competitively though. Entrance fee, race fee, tires, hotel (if cold), food, and then gas for a generator, motorcycle, AND truck....I'm glad I only did that for a year lol.

Now you got me wanting to pick up another stang to set up for handling well lol. One for straight line...one for corners!