Granada Swap and stock wheels...will it work?

sa_andy

Dec 23, 2003
Hi,
I have a 1966 coupe with it's original 289 and drum brakes all the way around. The wheels are the stock wheels with the standard hubcaps on all 4 wheels too.
I want to do the Granada spindle swap so I can have front disk brakes. My question is...will I have to have different wheels, or will the current stock wheels clear the granada 11" rotors??
thanks for your helpful answers!

• Sponsors (?)

No, the old wheels won't clear the hubs.
Yes, there is something you can do about it: have the rotor hubs milled down to fit the old wheels. I've seen it done with good results an no negative effects. I think my buddy paid 5-10 bucks to a brake shop for them to do the machining. :nice:

66 BLAKE 96 said:
No, the old wheels won't clear the hubs.
Yes, there is something you can do about it: have the rotor hubs milled down to fit the old wheels. I've seen it done with good results an no negative effects. I think my buddy paid 5-10 bucks to a brake shop for them to do the machining. :nice:

Thanks for the info...do you know, do they just "cut" around the rotor all around the "circle", or is it there some other place that needs to be cut??
thanks again

sa_andy said:
Thanks for the info...do you know, do they just "cut" around the rotor all around the "circle", or is it there some other place that needs to be cut??
thanks again

Yes, they just turn the rotor and mill the circle that is the hub down a bit.

I don't recall exactly, but I believe that my friend may have taken a grinder to the corner of the caliper, but nothing major. The Granada swap is among the best mods I've done to my car. :nice:

If you get 14" steel wheels from a late 70's Granada you shouldn't have any clearance problems and your hub caps will fit too. My entire care has been peiced togeter by PO's. I had one wheel that wouldn't clear the hub, and one that would clear the hub but not the caliper. Luckily my spare cleared both the hub and the caliper. I just took the grinder to the caliper a little at a time, and just put the wheel back on and spun it. Just did that until nothing rubbed anymore. So far so good, and I'll still using my origional hubcaps!

fess40 said:
If you get 14" steel wheels from a late 70's Granada you shouldn't have any clearance problems and your hub caps will fit too. My entire care has been peiced togeter by PO's. I had one wheel that wouldn't clear the hub, and one that would clear the hub but not the caliper. Luckily my spare cleared both the hub and the caliper. I just took the grinder to the caliper a little at a time, and just put the wheel back on and spun it. Just did that until nothing rubbed anymore. So far so good, and I'll still using my origional hubcaps!

that's probably a better idea...wheels from a salvage yard should be practically givaways...then, when i can afford it, i can buy some custom wheels if i decide to.
thanks