SN95 on3 Turbo w/ Pimpxs on stock '95 gt

Swizzy

Apr 28, 2024
TN
Hey everybody,

Looking for some input from some of the veteran guys who have been where I am currently at.

Have a 1995 gt w/ ~70k miles, stock motor
-cold air intake
-no cats w/ x-pipe
-MSD distributor w/ 6AL box
-cobra roller rockers
-stock T5
-3.08 gears

Just finished rebuilding the suspension with some BMR/Eibach/maximum motorsports parts. Car feels very tight on the road now, but looking to get a bit more power on the street. (also have done the ATS brake swap)

Been reading through forum posts and have landed on just leaving the motor untouched and throwing a On3 kit w/ Pimpxs on the car with the goal being ~400ish hp at the end. After heads/cam/supporting mods I think I'll be further in the hole with less to show for it performance wise.

What boost numbers will I need to hit this target? 8-10psi?
Will the stock T5 survive at this hp? (already grinds 3rd a little) Should I just run it until it gives?
Is the pnp pimpxs the best way to get my foot in the tuning door? (want to retain stock harness)
is 67mm ceramic bearing turbo worth cost over 70mm journal bearing?
Head studs/gasket combo?
General opinions on the plan?

Thanks for any and all advice.

edit: Pimpxs is the better option over the MSPNP Gen 2?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If you have been doing this long enough, you truly start to believe in the idea that when you buy a turbo kit (especially a cheap one), you should pick up the nicest jackstands because you will be looking at them for quite a while.

Buy a vortech kit and be driving the car at the end of the weekend. They are proven reliable and fairly easy to install. There will also be plenty of support should things not go your way. A bonus is that you won't have to tinker with it for the rest of your life.

As for the T5. It wouldn't be wise to install a power adder before you make necessary repairs to the rest of the car.
Even if you chose to, the T5 could go from easily fixable to a pile of scrap metal
What will a t5 survive? That could depend on your tires, traction, how you drive. I totally destroyed one with 340rwhp and drag radials.
Yours may last a week or may last forever.
I'd guesstimate that it takes 4k to get into a TKX, so blowing up the trans won't be cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
My on3 kit install was documented here and has been on the car for around 9 years. The last 5 years it's been start up and go. I haven't had to fix anything. All the original on3 stuff is on the car and working flawlessly. I would opt for the 67mm ceramic BB turbo over the 70mm journal bearing one. The 67mm will spool faster and should last longer. I have this turbo fox and a supercharged new edge 4.6. The turbo fox is way faster and a hell of a lot more fun. I run 42lb injectors with a 340lph pump. Some say it could lead to fuel overheating ( in the tank ) amd aeration. I don't ha e that problem. At 7lbs of boost I was pushing through the clutch. Ran a 4 cylinder t5 for a while before upgrading to a built tko600. When the t5 was in there it shifted fine but I knew it was only a matter of time.

Reactions: 1 users
The last 5 years it's been start up and go. I haven't had to fix anything. All the original on3 stuff is on the car and working flawlessly. I would opt for the 67mm ceramic BB turbo over the 70mm journal bearing one. The 67mm will spool faster and should last longer. I have this turbo fox and a supercharged new edge 4.6. The turbo fox is way faster and a hell of a lot more fun.
Thanks your reply. This is the feedback I've been looking for before pulling the trigger. Not too worried about the T5. I'll replace it when I need to. I think I like tinkering on the car almost as much as driving it so if I have to I'll keep it on jack stands all winter.

this has my interests. I've been looking at their 94/95 kit and its weird. on their page, they mention the y-pipe to attach to the catback setup which is what I want to do. but when you scroll down to the actual options, its not there. when you look elsewhere on their site, the only y-pipe they have is for a fox. I'm wondering if this same y-pipe works with the 94/95 kit?

I emailed them the other week and have not heard back. I also tried calling twice and got no answer so I'm kinda just sitting here looking around online...seems a couple people in this thread have the 94/95 kit so I'm hoping one of you also got the y-pipe and would be able to confirm if it works?

but yeah, OP is in the same boat as me except I will be using the pimpx-shift since I have an aode. I have a 255lph pump and some lucas 42lb injectors that I'll be using as well. Other than that I will likely toss on some gt40p heads and intake I have laying around as well if I feel frisky.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks your reply. This is the feedback I've been looking for before pulling the trigger. Not too worried about the T5. I'll replace it when I need to. I think I like tinkering on the car almost as much as driving it so if I have to I'll keep it on jack stands all winter.
They get ( the car) boring when they are done... In my Opinion, thats why sometimes you come across something from Mad Max, the car was done but the owner wasnt' done " tinkering" with it.......

Reactions: 1 user
The more I work on my car the uglier it gets, :doh:

You could always go back to pet grooming:

1715902703823.png

:shrug: