GRRR! Just put motor back together, bad ticking.

JadeFalcon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2002
Arlington, TX
Damnit. about 6 months ago my 2.3 blew a head gasket, so Finally I get back to putting a new head on it, having it machined, valve seats and seals, a high lift cam and some followers. I thought it would be great. Well, when I fired it up cold it was great, ran quiet, then it starting tapping, tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap, getting louder and louder, when I throttle the car up it speeds up slightly and then entirely vanishes, when I'm driving the car it is quiet as can be, but when it comes down to idle it makes this tapping noise. GRR, what could this be? I hope it isnt a rod, dosent really sound like one, it gets intermittant after a while, throttle the motor up and it just vanishes entirely, come back down and it returns. It isnt something you need to lean in to hear, you can hear it with the hood shut. What could this be?? Did I forget something in the valve train? It dosent seem like its missing.

• Sponsors (?)

I got the head rebuilt and machined this summer. Nothing special, but all new parts. New valves, new seats, new lifters, new followers ....
and still I have the same sound as you describe, and it had it before the rebuilt also.
I went back to the shop and the mechanic told me that it's the crankshaft or one of the pistons ? Maybe he's just trying not to blame himself, but it seemed logical at the moment.

We also have very loud injectors, mine tick away loudly and you can hear them w/ the hood shut, disappears giving it any throttle at all. I've had people ask me about the ticking a number of times. Any chance of the same?

im with crovax on this one, the valve train does make quite abit of noise normally, but if its as excessive as you are describing sounds like one(or more) of your lifters are not doing there job. What kind of "high lift" cam did you put in?

how long have you let the car run? because if they haven't had oil pressure for a long time, it takes the lifters a good amount of time to get pumped back up to there proper height. engine basically needs to get warm and run for 30 minutes or so.

It is most likely valvetrain noise. If it was your bottom end it would probably tick worse with a load on it. What cam are you using? If it is a regrind of somesort or the base circe is not at stock specs the lifters may need to be shimmed. Did your machine shop set up the head with the cam installed? To do it properly a modified solid lifter needs to be used for setup. 2.3 valvetrain geometry is critical, you have to have them machined by someone who knows how to properly set them up or know how to do it yourself.

actually to update this case study, this morning it was entirely cold, so I started it up, and it literally took 10 minutes for it to begin to tap... geez.

I honestly dont know **** about the cam, I got it from a buddy who bought the cam new, i had a box on it but I dont remember the specs, it was a ford motorsport cam for the 2.3L, it wasnt a ranger cam.

so the followers need to be shimmed? This is a 92 mustang, so it has a roller valvetrain. Can someone give me some detailed explaination of how to correctly check this? Maybe pics?

I know 5.0's inside and out but a 2.3L is foreign to me.

..lol turbostang, this isn't the 2.3L I blew up, this is another one that I had had a blown headgasket in. the carbed 5.0 is still in the distance. I've had some good offers on my vert so this might end up being a good starting ground for a turbo stroker motor in the future, but for right now, its my grocery getter, and grocery getters dont tap like a drummer!

You should not have to shim the lifters with a Motorsport cam(probably an A237) . Valve stem height is critacal in these engines if the machinist has th height to low they will need to be shimmed. However it should tick at startup if there is a problem with valve geometry. Possible bad lifter. :shrug:

did you assemble the head or did the machine shop?
Not sure about 2.3 stuff but I let all of 5.8 lifters soak in oil a while before installing. Maybe you have new lifters but one might not have pumped up. I realize that it should pump up after running but I've had a few that didn't.

When you did the head gasket change did you pull the motor?

Actually with the 2.3 lash adjusters(lifters) you have to collapse them before reinstalling. You have to put them in a vice or a big c clamp a force the oil out of them. When it is ticking take off the oil filler cap and see if the noise gets louder. If it does it is valvetrain noise.

I know it sounds a bit simple, but make sure you have enough oil. I happened to change my timing belt when it had been 3k miles on my oil, and cause it was low, there was a little ticking that went away with some throttle. Really really frustrating cause I looked everywhere thinking I had screwed something up with the timing, but just low oil.

svoman2300 said:
Actually with the 2.3 lash adjusters(lifters) you have to collapse them before reinstalling. You have to put them in a vice or a big c clamp a force the oil out of them. When it is ticking take off the oil filler cap and see if the noise gets louder. If it does it is valvetrain noise.

Well I'll be......
Its time to do a 2.3 head before I post anymore here. :D

I couldn't really hear if it was getting louder or not, its almost ambient. Havent had the time to get it apart yet. What should I be looking for as far as the problem? how to check, etc..

and no I assembled the heads, did a valve seal job, etc..

svoman2300 said:
Actually with the 2.3 lash adjusters(lifters) you have to collapse them before reinstalling. You have to put them in a vice or a big c clamp a force the oil out of them.

You don't "have" to...I've done it twice without collapsing them...Granted it's harder but not impossible by any means.

Stinger