GT40 heads/E cam PV clearance

ponsai03

May 24, 2009
Can somebody tell me if using completely stock GT40 heads and E cam combo will give my 1990 5.0 any PV clearance issues?. Can I use factory pushrods and lifters?
How much HP can I expect by installing GT40 heads, E cam and GT40 intake with 70mm throttle and 73mm mass air on my stock 5.0?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have GT40 heads milled .030 with stock GT40 valve sizes and the e-cam with 1.6 rr and have no issues with PV clearance. However, I did have to buy custom lenght pushrods to get proper valve train geometry.

I had PV clearance issues with the original 1.7rr on the engine. Bent two valves on two seperate occasions; one intake, one exhaust. Both while the engine was bouncing off the rev limiter.

I beat the crap out of the current combo with the 1.6s with no issues.

You MUST check PV clearance if the heads are used b/c you have no idea what previous owners have had done to them. If they are dead stock the stock pushrods should work.

As you can see from my sig, I have a very similar combo to what you are proposing. Personally, I am a little dissapointed with the combo based on the money and time I spent porting and getting the GT40s read to go. For me to be happy with the combo, I need more cam. Which I don't feel like fooling with.

Many guys here would tell you to buy a TFS Stage 1 cam for that combo..never had one so I can't say. If I were to do it again, I'd think about getting a custom grind.

If you haven't already bought the heads, I'd strongly consider saving some more money and getting some aluminum heads. OR, spend less and port your stock E7's. I had home ported E7's, stock intake, and the e-cam on my engine previously and LOVED that combo.

Good luck...

GT40 heads with E-cam or TFS Stage 1 is a combo widely used among Stang enthusiasts. Compared to the TFS engine kit ($2500), this duo brings almost the same #'s for less than 1/2 the cost. That's the reason I'm considering it. But my lack of high technical skills like selecting pr lenght or springs selection among others makes me ask to experienced people, so "errors" can be avoided.
I am watching many GT40 heads here and there so at any time I will be buying them with a cam and finish my project.
Any suggestion is welcome and thanks for your help.