Fox Gt40 Questions

72gs455

Jun 16, 2017
OK so i picked some gt40 heads without realizing they had 1/2 head bolt holes was told i could use some kind of reducer to bolt them on my 302 they also seem to have aftermarket springs now my questions is can i use my stock pushrod/cam? going to be using stock pedestal rockers until i get the budget to get pedestal mounted roller rockers also if there a way to id springs?

Attachments

• IMG-1165.JPG
    IMG-1165.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG-1166.JPG
    IMG-1166.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Sponsors (?)

OK so i picked some gt40 heads without realizing they had 1/2 head bolt holes was told i could use some kind of reducer to bolt them on my 302 they also seem to have aftermarket springs now my questions is can i use my stock pushrod/cam? going to be using stock pedestal rockers until i get the budget to get pedestal mounted roller rockers also if there a way to id springs?

Are these GT40 heads or GT40P heads?

I've never used the reducers. That being said, it's the proper way to do it. Back when I started this, they either didn't make them, or no one had ever heard of them. I have always bolted heads right on with the standard ARP 7/16" stud or bolt kit and never had a problem.

Stock cam will work. It will make better power with a different cam. It's all a matter of how much time you want to spend vs cost/reward. Cams are cheap, but it's double the work to change the cam.

Stock rockers will work, but most people elect to go with rollers as it's not a huge cost or time consumer. Pushrods should be ok, but I would never send an engine without doing a pushrod geometry.

Based on what you are saying, I would save up the money for the rockers and possibly a cam before you do the swap. The incidental costs (like holy :poo: have you seen what a gallon of antifreeze goes for these days) of tearing down the engine twice exceeds the value of those parts.

Kurt

The washers for the 1/2 to 7/16 holes to bolts work fine. I used a set with the irongt40s on my 82 for ten years, took them off an reused them on the AFR heads. Also used stock bolt down rockers and pushrods. Worked fine to 6200 rpm many times.

Are these GT40 heads or GT40P heads?

I've never used the reducers. That being said, it's the proper way to do it. Back when I started this, they either didn't make them, or no one had ever heard of them. I have always bolted heads right on with the standard ARP 7/16" stud or bolt kit and never had a problem.

Stock cam will work. It will make better power with a different cam. It's all a matter of how much time you want to spend vs cost/reward. Cams are cheap, but it's double the work to change the cam.

Stock rockers will work, but most people elect to go with rollers as it's not a huge cost or time consumer. Pushrods should be ok, but I would never send an engine without doing a pushrod geometry.

Based on what you are saying, I would save up the money for the rockers and possibly a cam before you do the swap. The incidental costs (like holy :poo: have you seen what a gallon of antifreeze goes for these days) of tearing down the engine twice exceeds the value of those parts.

Kurt
sorry works crazy so couldnt reply they are gt40s 3 bars

sorry works crazy so couldnt reply they are gt40s 3 bars

Don't worry, I don't go on this website for days at a time either. My buddy has a matching Cobra cam around here somewhere. Better than a GT cam anyway. We also have a set of GT40 Cobra heads here somewhere too. I think the cam is in the scrap steel barrel, that's how much I would recommend it over paying for a proper cam. But if you are nearby, you are welcome to it.

Kurt