Guilty or not?

70belvedere

Sep 1, 2006
My charging system checked out ok at AutoZone, but I wanted Napa to check it out because like someone said they are only clerks and not all clerks know how to operate the charging equipment correctly.

Heres what happened
I needed a jump-start last Friday. I then drove about 10 miles to charge the battery. I then went to AutoZone to have the charging system checked. No faults were found. The next day I needed another jump, so again I drove about 10 miles to charge the battery, and again no faults were found. The manager checked the system, so I assumed it must be a correct reading, but I had a gut feeling something was wrong because the battery oozed water.

Would you believe, I needed a 3rd jump the following day. This time I went to Napa's. I left the car running outside of Napas. I wanted the whole charging system checked, but all they had was a battery tester. I had the hood already up. The clerk reached down and wiggles the neg cable and removes it. right then the car started to shudder and the windshield wipers and the water sprayer came on. The clerk put the cable back on it was only for a second. Then he removes it again same thing happened. When he started to remove it again I yelled out NO!

As angry and bewildered as I was I never did have the battery checked. I went home to tighten down the Neg battery clamp, and went back to AutoZone. This time the tester said BAD DIODE PATTERN. I was told I needed a new Alternator. I bought a new Voltage instead. That night I disconnected the Neg cable because I still had that gut feeling something else could be wrong.

The car started the next morning, so I went back to Napa's to let them know they weren’t supposed to remove the Neg cable while the car was running. The clerk said he didn't know that, and I told him he should have known that, and that by removing the cable it puts a spike in the system and that up to 30,000 or more volts will go thru the system and could fry the electronics. I also told him the light under the hood blew out, so he replaced it and I left.

I strongly believe Napa’s responsible for the bad diode pattern, and the only problem I had was the loose cable.

Should I just go straight to the manager and tell him he's responsible for replacing my Alt

• Sponsors (?)