Guys that run 15"-16" wheels what tires?

sparx

Sep 2, 2009
Still considering going to manual steering with the new Borgeson box. Yes I know that parking lot steering will be tougher. I will be increasing wheel size to 15" or 16" and am considering 205 wide tires.

What are you guys running?
sparx

• Sponsors (?)

normal_IMG_2778.jpg

Front wheels:
Magnum 500 in 15x7"
205x60/R15

Rear wheels:
Magnum 500 in 15x8"
225x60/R15

Front suspension:
Complete Global west tubular upper and lower control arms
1" $helby drop and slightly chopped spring (half a coil I think)

Rear suspension:
4-Leaf mid eye leaf springs

Still considering going to manual steering with the new Borgeson box. Yes I know that parking lot steering will be tougher. I will be increasing wheel size to 15" or 16" and am considering 205 wide tires.

What are you guys running?
sparx

i am running 245/50/16 on all four corners of my 65 falcon. Stock steering 4* caster. I am not complaining about manual steering. I love it.

My custom front suspension allows a wider tire in front. Plus i am lowered 3" all the way around.

Posted via Mobile Device

The reason I consider manual steering is for road feel. I was never able to drive my mustang since the engine was no good, as were other things. LOL

But I do read often that the PS is not the best, not sure about Borgeson upgraded PS.

sparx

Not sure what year your car is, but 225 is about as big as you'll get up front on a 64 to 66 with the stock suspension.

If I had to do it over I would run a 16 inch wheel as there are much better performance tire selection in that size.

Good luck...

Posted via Mobile Device

Check out MustangSteve.com web site. He has a lot of pics and info on tire fitment with different suspensions. I have 235 x 17" all the way around one car and love the look. Put 215 x 15" on the other and I dont think I could gotten anything bigger up front without rubbing issues with a 2" drop.

I am running 215 60 15 front. My car has the quick ratio steering box and manual steering. It works well. I like it and am keeping it this way. I also have 1 inch drop springs.

I have considered the roller idler arm. I hear that helps alot.

Its just a rebuilt steering box from a power steering car.

From what I understand, Its the same setup that the early Shelby GT350 had.

I'll try to get the number off of it.

It's a Tag #: HCC-AX (MS) or HCC-AW (PS) . The AX would only be from a GT or a standard car with the handling option. The AW boxes are from power steering cars and are the same ratio but have a different bearing preload. You shouldn't be able to feel the differents if the box has a few 1000 miles on it

Looking at manual steering boxes now.
Was the power steering box (what I have) 19 to 1 and manual 16-1?
After removing my box (weeks ago) I was soaking the tag from the box (just last week) and being a schmuck I tossed the tag out with the solvent, I finally noticed when looking for it today. :(

I don't think it is a major task to ID my steering box, well I hope not.

Anyway I am looking at Flaming River, but never hear good about them and this guy: http://www.stangerssite.com/TruckCVparts.html

I am hoping a 16-1 will work since the tires will not be excessive in width.

My steering box and shaft are in nice condition, but I doubt not any good for a manual application.
I wish I had read the fricking tag at least.

Being human sometimes is a PITA.
sparx

I have no complaints about the manual steering in my '65, and I have a rebuilt 16:1 box, longer Shelby pitman and idler arms with a roller idler, and 215/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires.

If you want more of a performance tire, check out the Avon CR6ZZ. It's really soft and would make a great street/opentrack tire. Many of the Cobra guys run them, have good things to say about them, and they come in sizes to fit 15" Mustang wheels.

I have 215-65-15 radial T/A's on 15x7 Torque Thrust D's on my 65 K coupe with the HCC-AX steering box and have no real issues while either driving or parking. Definitley requires a little more effort than when I had the 195-75-14 redlines on styled steel wheels on it but it is still pretty easy to live with.

If it were me. I would look for a good used box,(HCC AW are easiest to find) check the backlash before installing it. If you are going through the expense to buy a rebuilt box, ditch it and get rack and pinion. Costs more but 40 years better technology and the car drives like new. Ive had them both ways and now I just factor in the cost of a rack when I look for a car. Only if it were a concourse show car would I hesitate. Good tight factory box OK but will never compare to rack & pinion for drivability