H/C/I vs. Supercharger

onebad7up

Jun 21, 2004
Nashville
I have been looking into superchargers, but my car is a daily driver so I want to keep the gas mileage. Would I be better off doing H/C/I? Which one will give the worst gas mileage? Compare lowest supercharger to a mild H/C/I setup. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

it would be my guess that down low you might lose some power w/ a centrifugal s/c just because you're turning it, but not making much boost down low, but over 2500-3000 (depending on pullies) you'll start to make more than stock hp.

With a roots type blower such as the Kenne Bell, it's supposed to increase the power down low where you'll see it before 2500 or so, but centrifugals wait until 3000 or so before you notice a difference over stock....or at least that's what I seem to find in my dyno test book.

A proper H/C/I would make more power but would most likley effect the gas milege and drivability negativly. A S/C wouldn't do much to gas milege, emmisions, or drivability but would add a considerable amount of power. Plus, do a S/C then you can later do a H/C/I that better matches a S/C setup.

i would also like to chime in on this subject. i have a post up currently about cheap (relatively) mods that will help in performance (not massively) but will also not hurt my drivability. supercharger seems like maybe the way to go...of course with mass air and TB. keep 'em coming..im listening in too!

depending on the kit. the smaller 5-6psi kits (what i would probably get) come with just FMU. are new injectors needed for these small kits? and i just assumed tb and mass air would help. im trying to help ya out here 7up, caus i'd like to know myself. (btw my bro is gettin a 7up car soon).

If the car is speed density then you need to convert over to mass air.

A small supercharger will not make your car feel any different than it is now powerwise when it is not under boost. When the load and or rpms increase the blower will make boost and you will crap your pants the first couple of times until you get used to it. If your car is relatively stock and you bolt on a small blower you will not need to change anything except the fuel pump. If you modify the car more after that you might need injectors and fuel system stuff but for a stock car you will need nothing. Pretty much every small blower kit includes an fmu so fuel will not be an issue if you have even a moderately sized intank pump like a 190.

Although it is a very arguable subject, I will agree to disagree with 90mustangGT. I do not think that H/C/I would give you as much TQ or HP as even the smallest blower. It would take a lot of stuff to make an extra 75hp with bolt on NA parts. It can be done but for twice the money. Not that what he said could not be true, but rather, in this instance it would be unrealistic.

QDRHRSE said:
If the car is speed density then you need to convert over to mass air.

A small supercharger will not make your car feel any different than it is now powerwise when it is not under boost. When the load and or rpms increase the blower will make boost and you will crap your pants the first couple of times until you get used to it. If your car is relatively stock and you bolt on a small blower you will not need to change anything except the fuel pump. If you modify the car more after that you might need injectors and fuel system stuff but for a stock car you will need nothing. Pretty much every small blower kit includes an fmu so fuel will not be an issue if you have even a moderately sized intank pump like a 190.

Although it is a very arguable subject, I will agree to disagree with 90mustangGT. I do not think that H/C/I would give you as much TQ or HP as even the smallest blower. It would take a lot of stuff to make an extra 75hp with bolt on NA parts. It can be done but for twice the money. Not that what he said could not be true, but rather, in this instance it would be unrealistic.

are you kidding? some people get 400 fwhp from h/c/i. thats 175 hp more from factory rating. i dont see how 75hp is hard to get :shrug: an e-cam, gt40 intake and heads should easily get you the 75 hp (and supporting mods)

As long as the motor is in good running condition, I would get the supercharger. I was planning on adding one, but school (see sig.) takes all my money. So for the money a supercharger would be best to preserve the minimal gas mileage you get now :D . I would get a good tune and upgrade your cooling system b/c it will tend to run hotter. H/C/I is also nice but it will effect emissions and gas mileage more than the supercharger.

Scorcher2005 said:
are you kidding? some people get 400 fwhp from h/c/i. thats 175 hp more from factory rating. i dont see how 75hp is hard to get :shrug: an e-cam, gt40 intake and heads should easily get you the 75 hp (and supporting mods)

Yep some people do. They get worse gas mileage, driveability and emmissions. Supercharger will be cheaper, more effective, and modifactions made after the blower will be greater than a N/A combo. I'll be doing H/C/I before a supercharger, but it won't be at the same time. It'll be progressive. It'll fit my funds better, but if I had enough cash to pick H/C/I or a supercharger all at one time, I'd gladly get a blower.