halo headrests in my 89 LX with sport interior

NYnasty5liter

Oct 9, 2011
Hows it going everyone? I've been looking for a set of used halo headrests for the longest time and finally found a set on got a great deal on them. im in NY and the dudes in CA so after the western union and shipping fee in total I payed $68 for them im waiting for them now. Im looking for some advice on removing them. i know that you go through the back of the seat and pry on the clip to remove the headrests and tried it once before in the past but had no luck...So im looking for some helpful hints and also im looking for anyone who has swapped these headrests into there car to post pics of how they look.:D

• Sponsors (?)

I've got pics somewhere of mine. I had them on my black tweed seats, but sold the seats. I kept the headrests and been meaning to have them leather covered to match my SN95 seats.

But anyway...front the backside, unzipped the bottom of the seat. A long flat head screwdriver helps. What you are going to do is reach up the back and feel around the Front side of the seat in the area between where your shoulder blades would be. You are feeling for a clip that inserts into the headrest shaft.

When you find it, you are gonna slide the screwdriver up and put the head under the clip. The screwdriver will be pointed straight up. Then, just turn like you are screwing in a screw while pulling up on the headrests. If you do it right, it should pop right out.

I installed some Halo's in my 88 vert a couple months ago. Being a vert I put the top back and stood in the floor board behind the front seat.
This way I could put some back into it.
I was able to pull up while wiggling the stock headrest from side to side. It took some effort but I was able to remove both headrests without any problems.

Slid the new Halos in the slots and they look great.

If yours isn't a vert you can remove the seats from the car. (Takes 5 minutes)
Stand in them or find a way to hold them down and "put some back in to it". LOL

Good Luck, hope this helps