Handbrake cable jacked up

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
While working on my electrical issues saturday, the battery tried to use my handbrake cable as a ground, and it jacked it up. It started glowing orange, burnt off the rubber boot, and now it's burnt white and I think it stretched. It doesn't hold the stang in place as good now, and it's a lot looser. Can I take up the slack (if it is indeed just stretched), or should I just replace it? I'm guessing LRS will have this huh?

EDIT: I just looked at 50resto, and they only have up to 93, will these work on our years?

• Sponsors (?)

i would also like to know

my stock ebrake SUCKS, most likely since my car was an automatic for most its life untill i swapped it over this summer and it was never really used before. it sucks now since i always have to leave it in gear. if theres a slight hill my ebrake will not hold at all :(

FYI. there are 3 cables. 2 large (go to rear) & one small one (console area). Which one is needing replaced?

I know I needed the small one because it was snapped. And a new bracket that connects them all above the tranny. I couldn't find it anywhere. The first scrap yard I went to had the small one & the bracket ($3).

How the **** did you manage to fry it?

Justin, my main ground cable was loose, so the battery had to find another ground location. The handbrake cable is solid steel or whatever, so it's the next best place.

It's just the little one as far as I know. I didn't inspect things too closely the other day, but I know that's the one that was burnt white. Maybe I'll call up some local junkyards.