Hardtop 'Vert?

rdnkjdi

Apr 25, 2007
I've had my 66 Convertible for nearly six months now. I absolutely love it, I never dreamed how cool owning a car like this would be. My problem is, I hate the top. I don't think it was done right when it was redone, and I've heard that it's going to be noisy no matter what you do with it. On top of that it leaks. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to make it quiet or waterproof with the vinyl top. Am I wrong?

That said, I've been wondering, would there be a way to make a hard top for it? A guy at work gave me a link to Smooth Line, who makes custom hard tops for old sports cars and new mustangs, but they don't do anything for classic mustangs. I sent 'em an email, but haven't heard anything back from them, and kinda doubt I will.

I wouldn't mind if it was something I bolted on in the winter, and then took off during the summer. Anybody ever heard of somebody doing something like this?

• Sponsors (?)

I too am a proud fairly new owner of a early vert (mines a 65) the trick is to put the top in the down position and forget about it. keep it in the garage and always cruise it top down!!! mine is a fair weather cruiser only.

Maybe I should just move to Florida. It seems like here it's always hot, cold, raining or hailing. Fair weather only narrows it down to like 15% of the year :bang:

hey!

i would do a search for the guy (kid) that made his coupe into a convertable/hardtop(it was yellow). it was very cool. so if you get a roof and maybe some other body parts you could morph your car into that. i have also seen the coupe turned into a fastback. and different year 1/4 panels put in...why not do that?! go for it!

This might be a little crazy...but would a coupe or fastback "top", meaning from the windshield back to the trunk, be the same dimensions as a convertible with its top? If so, then it could be cool to get a roof/pillars of a junker, and cut it so that it could lay over the top of the convertible, and bolt down much like how the front bolts/hooks are in the new convertibles. Run some weather striping around the points where it would contact the body, and your in buisness. I really have no factual truth, just an idea.