Has anyone ever taken out the speedomter/tach cluster on an 03 -04 cobra?

Miklowcic

Apr 24, 2001
Hillsborough, NJ
I bought a new clear plastic cover for my 03 cobra. I followed the directions on white face gauges install here on stangnet, but once i took the cluster four bolts out, the cluster would only come so far before the wires were taught....there was barely enough room to get my hand behind it so I couldnt disconnect the wires to get it completely out.

IM guessing Ford did something to make it harder to take the speedo/tach cluster out???

I ended up changing the plastic cover with the whole thing in the dash but took much longer than it should have that way. I had to be real careful I didnt scratch the piece all over again.....

• Sponsors (?)

You should have installed the Hilton "Boost Overlay" while you had the cluster out! In fact... I think the boost gauge in the cluster may have been your problem, or at least the airline running to it. You need to get behind the glove box and disconnect that airline so you can then pull the cluster out. Here is a pic of the airline behind the glovebox. By disconnecting this you should be able to pull the cluster out far enough to get in behind it.

U.M.
dscn0273.jpg

oh yeah... that would make sense. The wire preventing me from getting it out was going right into the boost part of the cluster.. Never even thought of that. Thanks. and yeah i was thinking about that overlay...i still might get it and put it in....

I just figured it was worth posting about in case anyone else has thought about replacing the cover. COst $30 from the dealer by the way...or if someone is going to do the overlay

Thanks