Has anyone removed the insulation under the stock gt hoods?

aj1025

Jul 4, 2003
Tyler Texas
I was just wondering if any of you have done this and how much weight does it reduce our cars by? But by removing the insulation does the paint on the outside of the hood get to hot from the heat of the motor? And lastly how do our hoods look underneath with this insulation removed, the insulation under my hood seems to just collect dust. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Do it and never look back. After installing the S/C in my car, the hood lining committed suicide so I pulled it out. that was early summer... drove it all the way through the summer with the heat of the S/C under there (WAY hotter than normal) and had NO bubbling or anything... our hoods disapate heat like nobody's business...

here is a picture of what my lining looked like just before I ripped it out:
lineroncar.jpg

lineroncarpet.jpg

hobbes80 said:
Do it and never look back. After installing the S/C in my car, the hood lining committed suicide so I pulled it out. that was early summer... drove it all the way through the summer with the heat of the S/C under there (WAY hotter than normal) and had NO bubbling or anything... our hoods disapate heat like nobody's business...

That's pretty scarry considering that those are supposed to be there to smother engine fires...

CdnNavybob said:
That's pretty scarry considering that those are supposed to be there to smother engine fires...
I'm actually willing to bet that the guys that installed the s/c did something to destroy the integrity of the lining and that's why it fell apart... they cut into it (and the hood) to make room for my powerpipe... fell apart 5 weeks later.

mine is tearing itself down the middle some how, they have pretty horrid quality :(

i had mine taken out, and had no problems with bubbling, or anything, and i also have the steel hood :shrug:

jadesville said:
mine is tearing itself down the middle some how, they have pretty horrid quality :(

i had mine taken out, and had no problems with bubbling, or anything, and i also have the steel hood :shrug:
Hey thanks for all the info guys, i guess i'll take mine out and if i don't like it i can always put it back in. This will just be temporarly until i get the funds for a light weight hood.