Has Drag Racing Changed?

• Sponsors (?)

Other than the high dollar Drag radial, and Regional H/U classes...has drag racing changed to something other than bracket racing for the rest of the average Joe's out there?

Since I don't pay attention anymore, and haven't been to a drag strip in 10 years,....I'm wondering.

If, however it hasn't.......Why build a quicker car?

If bracket racing is still alive and well,....Why build a car that is faster when you cant go "faster than"?

I see guys here w/10 second or faster ET goals in builds all the time, and wonder what would the benefit to that? If it is true bracket racing, and you are paired w/ a much slower, less finicky, more consistent, "Put it in D and work on the tree" competitor.....seems kinda stupid that you spend all that money to go so fast, only to get your ass handed to you by a car that's 5 second slower because the stocker didn't spin a tire, shifted itself, never over revved, never missed a gear, didn't bog, or a whole shopping list of other calamities that happen when you put a fast car on the track.

Now again,..I'm curious...If there is now class racing of some kind working off of an index,...or weight restrictions, (or penalties) or you simply aren't paired w/ a 15 second car in the brackets any more...I'd be interested in learning how it's different.
One of my cars would be great in bracket racing. With 80 stock Hp and a power glide over the rear wheels, tire spin is not an option, even on ice. It is very consistent, 21 seconds to 60 and the quarter mile.
If I took it to the track, at least half of the others would redlight and the rest would usually break out trying to catch up.

But I prefer to go on test and tune days to see what my faster cars and I can do. One day after beating two Camaros, (that tried to lift the front wheels), my first Mustang was beaten by a PINTO that sounded like a sewing machine had mated with an airplane. It was a shop class project, and would probably be slower than an eco boost now. But I find those are the fun days. Forget a trophy and bigger entry fee.

Last edited:
Just heard that etown is shutting down for what sounds like the same reason as kcir and speedworld, getting forced out of (profitable) business by politicians and their friends buying up and developing all the land around it cheap and then forcing the existing eye/earsore out to raise their property values.

Fwiw, its not just race tracks, there's an artificial ski resort here that is going thru the same bs.

Just heard that etown is shutting down for what sounds like the same reason as kcir and speedworld, getting forced out of (profitable) business by politicians and their friends buying up and developing all the land around it cheap and then forcing the existing eye/earsore out to raise their property values.

Fwiw, its not just race tracks, there's an artificial ski resort here that is going thru the same bs.
COPART offered them stupid money to use it for a junk yard

Complains about the track you built to is like buying land next to a feed lot and complaining about the flies. Or building next to The Buffalo Bill Wild West Arena, then complaining about the Rodeo and music shows, and then the round round cars on Friday a few blocks to the west at the county Fair track. Grandfather Zoning has to mean something,
I need to get to the track in the spring before development closes it in our new town!!! My folks now own the track's long time owner's house, so who knows who is running it.

Last edited: