have you twisted or bent an axle?

• Sponsors (?)

Did a doughnut and clocked a curb one time....dumbass, I know! I thought the only think I hurt was my pride, since half the college saw me do it, but when I drove home I noticed that I fortune cookied one of my newly polished Centerlines. :( Changed it back to the 10-hole and still notice a wobble. The best way to see, is to put the rear end up on jack stands and let the car idle in low gear and look for a wobble.

If you did bend one, don't fret, because the 4-cyl stangs used the same axles and you should be able to pick one up at a wrecker for peanuts. :nice:

What's your car doing exactly?

i get a vibration around 75mph which is speed related, not engine rpm related. I've replace the driveshaft and u-joints. The passenger side axle seal is leaking so I'm wondering if my vibration could be caused by the axle. I figure I would get the axle bearings replaced as well. Can a shop determine if the axle is bent and needs replacing?

Most speed related vibration problems I've had tend to stem from the crappy factory drive shaft. I went through two sets of gears, two sets of axles, new engine/trans mounts, 4 different sets of wheels (10-holes, turbines, centerlines and now finally pony's), 3 differnt sets of tires (BFG Comp T/A's, Radial T/A's and now Dunlop SP's), a box full of U-joints and finally 3-drive shafts installed in ever single position on my LX, before I finally found out that most of it is attributed to the stock steel drive shaft and the majority of them are "out of phase" right from the factory. The one i've got now isn't too bad, but an aluminum one and adjustable upper control arms are on their way this year. This should cure the remainder of the problem......I hope. :(

...but yeah, like hotrodman suggested, checking your tires for balance should be one of your first priorities.

i have an aluminum driveshaft so I'm trying to figure out what else could be my source of vibration. different sets of tires have been used, the tranny and tranny mount have been replaced, different set of gears have been installed.

I can't remember if I got the bearing (name?) replaced when the different gears went in. I figure the only thing left is the axle and axle bearings. Am I missing something else?