head dissasembly: I can't get the keepers off! (I need some help)

87tbird50

Jan 7, 2003
blarg.jpg

I want to take out my springs and valves, but I'm having some troubles. When I compress the spring, the little round disc thing under the keeper won't go down, it seems stuck or something. How do I get the keepers out?

EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out...

• Sponsors (?)

Well, just an idea for anyone else. I turn the head so the valves are away from me, spring is towards me (so as not to kill the valves against the table) and smack the valve spring on the retainer a few times with a rubber or plastic hammer. It knocks the sludge loose thats holding the locks tight.

take a socket that will fit exactly over the keepers and put it on top of the valve and whack it with a hammer...the spring need not be compressed when you do this btw.

Wouldn't this cause the socket, and keepers to go flying when the pressure from the spring is released? Sounds like it's dangerous, and you will loose parts. :shrug:

Before I put the spring compressor on there, I give the spring retainer a few whacks with a hammer. Works for me.

hold the socket with your fingers and you're fine. don't whack it with all your might and the spring won't compress much from the hit. it works wonders. and its a lot better than using a screwdriver or just hitting it with the hammer cause you're putting pressure around the entire keeper, not on one side, so no chance of bending/breaking/nicking anything.