header install

Ok, so i had finally decided on the bassani mid length headers, and was planning to install them myself. I read on here that I could get longtubes while retaining my xpipe if i could get a muffler shop to cut down the x pipe, so I called "muffler king" and they said that headers on my car are so complicated that it would be at least 8 hours of labor, and they dont like to do it because its so hard to get at. If this true, I dont want headers anymore, I dont think its worth my money and especially time to install these, even if I am skilled enough for that kind of install. Is it really that hard? I have access to a lift and plenty of tools, but far from an expert on cars.

• Sponsors (?)

For longtubes most if not all people have had to drop the K-member for an easier install.

Some people say they just jacked the engine up a bit, but it was still tight as hell to work around.

Kinda in the same boat... dont have the $ to pay someone, and Im not comfortable with dropping the whole front end for a set of headers.

Im not sure if mid lengths are as bad or not. I know people install shorty's with alot less hassle, but supposidly the gain isnt worth the work, however ive heard that midlengths are a good choice. Still get good gains, and if im correct, you can still drop the tranny without removing them (only a company or two makes longtubes that will let you do that).

well, everything you heard about longtubes is correct, they are a major pita!!!
I'll make you a deal though, i'll help you install yours, and you help me install mine? I just noticed you are in Wdnvl...i'm in Mill Creek!

They are worth it, and you learn more about your car when you do the install. I installed mine and a year later I had to replace a head gasket- meaning I had to take the headers off before I could take the heads off. So I have installed mine twice now and dropped the k-member 4-5 times. Yes it sucks, but its not impossible.

What I have found best is to use a set of ramps right under where the control arm connects to the k-member. I set mine up on boards to get it an inch or two away then unbolt it so it sits right on the ramps, then just slide it down :) To install to the reverse procedure.

Shorty's are no cake walk. And 8 hours for install is fair IMO.
AS for the whole Shorty's aren't worth it debate. Notice it is always people that don't have them that say that? IF you search and research alot you'll see the avg seems to be 10 hp for shorty's and 20hp for LT's.

As someone with shorties. I picked up 20rwhp with mine. Although if I was going to suggest it I would say get LT's for the price and the abilty to drop the tranny I like the flowtech's.

Dropping the K-member really isn't all that bad.. I'm not sure why people whine and gripe about it so much :shrug:

I've dropped 3 K-members in the last 2 months and it's no big deal. In fact, I dropped 1 K-member at midnight on saturday night!!!

Just do it yourself and you'll save a lot of money and you may actually learn something if you're not careful :nice:

Yep. Don't fear dropping the K. My buddy and I had the car on jack stands with the K removed and the old headers off in 2.5 hours. I couldn't imagine doing LTs with the K in.

I installed the bassani midlengths. I like the headers, but I had the heads off too, which makes the install a lot easier. On the passenger side, you can bolt the header up to the head and drop the whole thing in as an assembly. On the driver's side, you can bolt up two of the tubes tight and one loose, drop that assembly in, then just put one tube in from underneath.

-Matthew