Header size for AFR 205 heads

• Sponsors (?)

The combo will most likely be a nitrous sniffing 408W. A friend of mine is in the process of building one and was curious about the header size. It looks like Kook's headers are about the only option. I know Hooker has a set of 2" primarys which sounds a little too big.

Don't get those 2" Hookers, I did a car a few months back with them, total PIA.

Depending on the exact combo a 2" header car work, how much is he going to spray? I would go 1.875"-2" with a 3.5" collector.

I guess everyone has different luck with different parts.
I run the hooker swap headers (6228s?) Had to do a little 'tweaking', (but don't you with almost EVERY aftermarket part you install nowadays?)
In either case, they're the 2" primaries, and 3.5" collectors. Actually picked up quite a few horse/tq numbers by putting a reducer in the collector, and reduced it down to 3".
Oh yeah, running AFR 205 heads in a 79 stang..................Big bell (164 tooth flywheel), with PA bellhousing, C4. HPM drop mounts......

drag79stang said:
I guess everyone has different luck with different parts.
I run the hooker swap headers (6228s?) Had to do a little 'tweaking', (but don't you with almost EVERY aftermarket part you install nowadays?)
In either case, they're the 2" primaries, and 3.5" collectors. Actually picked up quite a few horse/tq numbers by putting a reducer in the collector, and reduced it down to 3".
Oh yeah, running AFR 205 heads in a 79 stang..................Big bell (164 tooth flywheel), with PA bellhousing, C4. HPM drop mounts......

True, almost nothing bolts right on... I had issues with the way the steering shaft went throguh the tubes, and the rear tube on the drivers side was very tight to remove while in the car. I had to trim up the SFI bell on the AOD and they hung very low, lower then most Kooks I have installed.

This was a 11.6:1 408, fully ported Vic Jr's, fully ported and worked Vic Jr intake, solid roller, etc...

I like the step headers personally...

I'd go 1 7/8" stepped to 2". RCI does custom headers for any head. Ceramic coated for around $650-750. They r advertised in Race Pages in the back and can give u their advice on what size. Excellent quality bar none.

My engine builder has a set of brand new RCI ceramic coated 1 7/8" w 3" collectors for a 5.0LX AOD for sale. All u need is the adapter plate for ur head. He went to 2" primary w/ 3 1/2" collector on a blown 331 stroker drag car w/ Victor Jr. Stage 3 heads.

[email protected]

I got the Kook's 2" headers on with no problems,just had to get it in the air and beat them on with a mallet (collectors).

But the driver side No. 8 was WAY out to the left,had to really bend it in,but nothing broke and the Flaming River shaft fit with no other mods.

edit:I shouldnt say no problems,with the JW bell hosuing its was probably a little togher than normal to get the passenger side No. 4 in,cause the No. 1 wanted to push it into the bell housing at the collector.But it still went right in pretty much.