Headers revisited

mhanksii

Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
I know it has been asked before (I asked about a year ago) but is there a huge difference between equal length shorties and long tube headers on a N/A car? I ask because I have herd many cars with shorties and they sound great. It takes a lot more than just sound to put out all that money and time on unequal length shorties. So please unbiased opinions and dyno numbers only because I already know that everyone here prefers long tubes I just don't have a 1000 plus to put into the exhaust and I know I am not alone in that boat trying to the last mods of the year in before winter takes all our fun away.

• Sponsors (?)

I posted a thread in this Forum with the Dyno's from Anderson Ford (think the link was "exhaust dynos" or something like that about 3 weeks ago). They did a test on mufflers, x-pipes and short headers. They did a nice spreadsheet on numbers from 2k-6k rpm. You gain about 3-5hp...install if you have a shop do them is about $500-$700. If you can do them yourself it might not be a bad bet. If you need a shop to do them, I'd say hold out for long tubes or not at all. You won't feel 3-5hp...and for $1000 installed...