Headlight problem

jellowbob

Sep 28, 2008
Washington
today i went out to drive my 96' GT stang after it was sitting there for a couple months and i turned the lights on and the head lights didnt turn on but all the other lights did. about a year or so ago my brother was spinning the tires and the head lights turned off suddenly so he stoped and pulled into the driveway and acouple minutes later he started it back up and the headlights turned on. i checked the fuses and they're all good and i was wondering if anyone knew what could possibly be wrong cause i have no idea :nonono: any ideas that i could try will help! thanks

• Sponsors (?)

At the risk of stating the obvious, have both bulbs been tested and verifed OK?

Do the high beams work? Does the "flash to pass" option work in the multi-function switch?

If the low beams do not work and the high beams work, then the main head light switch is good and the problem may lie in the multi-function switch.

If both high and low beams do not work, then it could be:
  • Main head light switch
  • multi-function switch
  • the bulbs themselves or bulb connectors
  • grounds
  • body wiring harness (rule out everything else 1st)

Do you have after market head lights? Some use considerably more power than stock and can (and do) overheat the wiring. Usually at the bulb connector itself. Inspect the connector for signs of heat damage. Also, there is an automatic circuit breaker in the headlight switch. It is heat activated and will automatically reset once cooled.

Additional trouble shooting will require a VOM meter. Detailed tests will be needed and the results posted.

My wiring diagrams indicate there is an circuit breaker in the head light switch. It is heat activated with an automatic reset.

Likely it is tripping out because of the extra load from the aftermarket headlights. After the CB cools down, the CB resets and the lights work.

Or as jsj has suggested, the headlight switch is just plain bad (CB tripping too soon).

If I was designing the car's headlights, I would want an automatic reset CB to trip before a fuse burned out.

In the words of the original terminator, "I'll be back". So will the OP.