heavy vert possible 11's?

Hey all, I have a 1994 manual gt convertible which is stock for the most part. I am debating whether or not to build up the convertible or wait a year (for funds) and start building up a 1999 cobra hardtop. On either platform I plan on going turbo. If I throw a lentech transmission and turbo/tune with this 5.0 vert at about 450rwhp will I be able to break 11's maybe 10's with all the extra vert and auto tranny weight?

One more question, is it true the mod engines get better gas mileage then the 5 liters? The specs I keep finding online show them at the same mpg.

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are going to bracket race the car, which, IMO, is kind of boring for a street car, a stick-car will be faster than an automatic at the track.

450 RWHP is good for low 11's at 3700 pounds.

I wouldn't ask people what you should do with YOUR car. You do what YOU want to do. But, since you asked.....if I were you, I would wait for the 99 Cobra - simply because I favor the 4V motor over the pushrod motor.

As for the gas mileage - you are always going to hear something different (much like what you are going to hear about 94 GT vs. 99 Cobra). After all, if you have a 450 RWHP car, who the hell cares about a 1-2 MPG difference?

Joe

When considering the GT or the cobra...think about INSURANCE!!

unless you are an older gentleman, the insurance will kill you on the cobra.

If the above isn't a problem, go with the 4v Cobra :drool:

thanks for the input im really impatient which is why I might start building up my gt. My insurance is 2600 a yr right now.. I may just end up going with the gt, its very hard to find a cobra in my area and if I do its usually a couple thousand above blue book.

Joes95GT said:
Unless you are going to bracket race the car, which, IMO, is kind of boring for a street car, a stick-car will be faster than an automatic at the track.

450 RWHP is good for low 11's at 3700 pounds.

i have to dis agree i think auto would be faster i had a friend switch from a tko to a c4 and he went from 11.2 to 10.6's and i know my car would go quiker with an auto in it too .

Joes95GT said:

Im sorry man but an auto is more consistent going down the track. If they are so slow then why do all the nhra drag cars use them such as pro stock and etc... I know that when i shell my tko if i ever do im gunna put a auto in mine. Your times will be way more consistent.

IM_FASTER_THAN_ said:
Im sorry man but an auto is more consistent going down the track. If they are so slow then why do all the nhra drag cars use them such as pro stock and etc... I know that when i shell my tko if i ever do im gunna put a auto in mine. Your times will be way more consistent.

yes auto is more consistent but is not faster. more power is lost through the drivetrain and it is heavier. if you take two street cars with equal power, one auto one 5 spd, the stick car will win.

IM_FASTER_THAN_ said:
If they are so slow then why do all the nhra drag cars use them such as pro stock and etc...

dur because they are drag cars. this is an 11 sec street car not a 5 sec race car. and like you said they are consistent, which is what matters for the race cars, which this car will not be. :spot:

94gts said:
yes auto is more consistent but is not faster. more power is lost through the drivetrain and it is heavier. if you take two street cars with equal power, one auto one 5 spd, the stick car will win.
Not so fast an auto with the right stall, shift kit, and the right gearing will hang with a 5 speed imo (given the same weight, traction, and equal driving skills).

But you can't deny that the manual trans is more fun....

I prefer manuals for that aspect but if I were a heavy drag racer I think I would use an automatic for the consistency and ease.

Chris

super302 said:
When considering the GT or the cobra...think about INSURANCE!!

unless you are an older gentleman, the insurance will kill you on the cobra.

If the above isn't a problem, go with the 4v Cobra :drool:

I thought insurance wasn't that bad for young guys with Cobras due to there not being a lot of young guys driving Cobras, which means that there aren't a lot of young guys wrecking them. I haven't ever actually looked into it, just something I heard.

EDIT: Oh yea, as for the auto vs. stick, auto is more consistent, but stick generally transfers more power. GENERALLY, although a well-built auto can still hang with a stick, general rule of thumb is the stick is faster.

A cobra is so hard to find here, and when you do find one its about 5k or so over the blue book.. most have at least 60k miles too..

As for as auto vs manual, I just dont want manual shifting to slow me down .. I still may go with the TKO-600, I think most my irritation with manual comes from the stock long throw shifter :shrug:

A properly driven 5-speed, in this case, will beat an automatic all day long. This is, of course, assuming the driver can actually DRIVE a stick car. I don't mean just pull the gears, I mean do it well.

Prime example - NMRA Factory Stock. It's a class of mid 11 to high 11 second cars (the competitive ones). You WILL NOT find one of the competitive cars running an automatic transmission.......

Joe