Hello my "stang family" I need your help!

MoGreen

Aug 4, 2005
Hey guys, i'm the one with the 93 "notchie"(strawberry/black interior). I want some advice pleeeez....I have (2) 74 351W (D-4AE) virgin blocks already magged,bores checked etc....If it were you,..would yah get a proven stroker kit..get it balanced & installed..or D.S.S 408 pro-bullit shortblock??, or even check this!!... I have access to a 2003 Lincoln "Navigator" 5.4 block"...2 grand for everything..from the oil pan to the intake to everything else under the hood....Cuz yall know "Sullivan" makes a carbureted intake for the 5.4...I'm so ready to put my TK-600 tranny on the back of something that could keep me streetable but still be aggressive in the 1/4...built solidly that could last with 2500-3000 mile interval oil changes? Which is the best route for me to take??? and thank you guys...and much love & blessings to you all.!!! I'm kinda leaning toward that 5.4 guys..LOL!! I'f I can see mid to low 11's..Hopefully respectable 10's later after income tax...when i get a NX kit..(www.sullivanperformance.com...just need to knowwhat's the most logical thing for me to do..?

• Sponsors (?)

this is gonna turn into an opinion thread real fast...

I'd personally go with the 351 based stroker, since you've got two good blocks from which to choose. you can buy just a stroker kit from CHP for less than the assembled short block, and have it all balanced and machined at your local trusted machine shop.

the 351 would probably be cheaper in the long run to churn out the 11's that you're looking for.

then again, isn't the Nav 5.4 DOHC? that's pretty tantalizing too...logic is determined by your own reasoning and expectations...if you can acquire all the parts for the 5.4 for a decent price, then you can go for that, but I'm still betting that a 351 stroker of just about any given displacement would be easier to make the 11's than the 5.4...

regardless of your choice, good luck!

Yep... definitely an opinion thread. The first thing that popped into my head is the lack of options available for the 5.4 vs. the 351. To me, DSS is the least attractive route due to all the sad stories that have been cropping up as a result of poor quality control recently. Build your own stroker and assemble your combination according to desire. High torque, high RMP, peak power numbers, whatever floats your boat. I'll have to say go with the 351 build.

Well it all depends on the money issue. What will the stroker kit and all the machine work cost you? Do you have heads for the 351? You said that the Navi 5.4 w/ all underhood will cost you 2 grand right? Have you priced a tubular or at least a new cradle that will use either your factory or a set of tubular controll arms? Another thing to consider w/ the 5.4 swap, most ppl go with a coil over conversion for the front. For more info on the 5.4 swap check out www.modularfox.com , mostly everyone over there is doing it. I would say go for the cheaper of two but don't take the cheap way out of doing it. Just my .02

Nate

since we all knew it was only a matter of time her comes and opinion!! :p I think the 5.4 would be cool as s h i t!!! BUT since it's a DOHC 5.4 parts and mods are gonna be next to impossiable to find. If you were interested in just adding some NOS and being happy. I just don't think that will yeild 10's. The 351W based engine seems to be your best bet with the most parts to do mods. I can't imgaine it would be too hard to get a big cube windsor in the 11's, especially in a notch. Building your own is definately the way to go. I know I had some pistions from DSS that were not made right. :notnice: Find a quality engine builder with a good rep and spend your money there :cheers:

Thanx for yall's advice!!! & hey..I want to post a photo...I have a camera phone..anyone wanna help me out on how to post it? or can i just send it to someone to post?..