help.02 mustang clutch not disengaging

lordjoe6

Jul 23, 2011
I've got 02 mustang with v6 engine and manual tranny. I got in it today and it was hard to get into any gear. Well i tried to adjust the clutch cable which is stock and now it doesnt want to go in any gear at all. I took the clutch cable off and the t/o bearing was touching the pressure plate with it off. Anybody with any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

The stock Mustang has a mostly automatic clutch adjustment. Pulling up on the pedal releases the quardant and allows the clutch to adjust. The effect of this is the TOB will be in contact with the fingers at all times. This is by design.

Because the TOB is normally in contact with the clutch fingers, the service life of the TOB is not super great. The other "artifact" of this system is the clutch free pedal travel is much less than other cars. This gives the impression that it's not adjusted correctly.

To adjust the Mustang's clutch, pull up on the clutch pedal and then push to the floor.

Incorrect clutch adjustment will make it difficult to get into gear. Likely the clutch cable is not adjusted tightly enough such that the clutch is NOT fully dis-engaging. This can cause difficult shifting.

help.02 mustang clutch not disengagiing

Yes I agree i think the adjustment is the problem but ive set and played with the adjustment and i think my cable is stretched to the max so i ordered a new cable,quadrant the works. Hopefully that will fix everything. I'll let you know in a week when the parts arrive. I also think the cable has never been replaced and the car has a lot of miles on it. I just bought the car about 7 months ago and he said he hasn't long been replaced the clutch and its super hard to press in and goes all the way to the floor.