HELP 2004 Mustang 3.9L V6 flooded

Colep95

Apr 24, 2019
Dallas, TX
Hello, this is my first post on here. I was driving the car mentioned above last night and drove through a puddle about 8 or so inches deep. The car stalled about halfway through the puddle. I stupidly tried to start it (I've been reading all day that it's pretty much the opposite of what I should've done) to no avail. I got it towed back to my place. I checked the oil, which was incredibly low (I'm about 1000 miles past my recommended oil change, I thought the mechanics changed my oil when they replaced my worn valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago but I guess not) and saw what looked to be water on the dipstick. I removed the air filter and intake, the filter was soaked and the intake had water throughout. I took out all of the spark plugs and was able to hand-crank the engine, which forced a lot of water out. I plan on waiting until tomorrow after the sun is out and it warms up to let it dry out, change the oil/oil filter and air filter, put new plugs in, and try to start it again. Is there anything you guys can think of that I am missing or should do before trying to start it again?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Cole

UPDATE: Got the engine running again! Guy at auto parts store said I will probably need a new MAF sensor, but that's a whole helluva lot cheaper than a new engine!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)