Help: Car feels like it lost power

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
I've noticed that my car(see sig) is a dog lately and doesn't seem to accelerate as quick as it used to. It's my daily driver and it feels like it's choked up when I get on it. I do alot of highway driving and noticed cruising at around 65mph the tach reads 2k RPM's. I have the stock 3.08's and before my car used to rev around 2k at at least 75mph. Something's definately wrong and I'm thinkin maybe the cats might be holdin the car back. I had an o/r hpipe and flows that I've since sold and put the original Hpipe back on with some replacement "turbo" mufflers(came on car) dumped. The exhaust swap is the only thing I did to the car within the past 3 months. I recently checked the plugs and they were somewhat white with powdery deposits(too lean???) They are Autolites gapped at .050. The dist. cap/rotor/wires are about 1 1/2yrs old and the plugs are newer. The fuel pump is new and the fuel filter is about 1yr old. Everything else is in the sig. I've read stuff about the '86s having faulty cats and what not. Sorry for the long ass post but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the ONLY thing i can think of, and it's a stretch, would be a slipping clutch. the reason i say this is two-fold:

1) you state a power loss
2) only a change in gearing should alter your cruise rpms at a given speed.

that is to say if your car has actually lost power it shouldn't rev higher but rather just move slower.

i know it's a stretch, but that's the best i got for you. well that, and.....

ttt

-steve

86Five-0 said:
I've noticed that my car(see sig) is a dog lately and doesn't seem to accelerate as quick as it used to. It's my daily driver and it feels like it's choked up when I get on it. I do alot of highway driving and noticed cruising at around 65mph the tach reads 2k RPM's. I have the stock 3.08's and before my car used to rev around 2k at at least 75mph. Something's definately wrong and I'm thinkin maybe the cats might be holdin the car back. I had an o/r hpipe and flows that I've since sold and put the original Hpipe back on with some replacement "turbo" mufflers(came on car) dumped. The exhaust swap is the only thing I did to the car within the past 3 months. I recently checked the plugs and they were somewhat white with powdery deposits(too lean???) They are Autolites gapped at .050. The dist. cap/rotor/wires are about 1 1/2yrs old and the plugs are newer. The fuel pump is new and the fuel filter is about 1yr old. Everything else is in the sig. I've read stuff about the '86s having faulty cats and what not. Sorry for the long ass post but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Did it happen all of a sudden or over time?....

I'm pretty stumped. The clutch is the original from my knowledge. It's pretty stiff like a stock clutch and it seems to grab fine, no chattering/slipping. What about the white spark plugs? Some were whiter than others particularly on the driver side engine bank. Oh, BTW, the timing is set at 12* and I've been runnin her on 89 octane. I'm thinkin about just bringin it to my mechanic to pull codes. Any other ideas?