HELP DREDED Check Engine LIGHT! ASAP!

Caps94ZODG

Sep 23, 2002
Orlando
:mad: got the check engine light come on in the mustang, my fiance was driving her car home and it came on just as she started the car. Told her to pull over and turn the car off for 10 sec and start it back up. no change. she got home, I checked it out and here is what I noticed.

when you start the car the light comes on and stays on, the car runs fine about 4 seconds into the car running it drops down in idle then goes back up to normal.
now when I gave it a quick blip of the throttle it hesitates for 1/2 second and then revs up, almost like its about to bog down. then revs fine all the way through.

I put it in gear and push on the brake, with load on the engine it does the same thing a 1/2 second just a little more noticble than in park.

So I take it for a spin around the parking lot and go slow stopping every 20 feet. I feel it bog down for the 1/2 second then rev up or slightly surge like the gas finally was getting into the engine.

akay so I give it gas slowly and it revs fine, same in gear drives fine if I give it smooth even throttle.
but the min. I blip the gas pedal it will bog down for a 1/2 a second every time then go with a little more of a surge.

any ideas??? I checked what I could see at night which was not much. and could still go check it out tommorow.

• Sponsors (?)

The bogging is probably from all the extra fuel and such. Now dont quote me on this, but newer cars usually have what's called limp mode. If it detects something wrong with the engine, it adds a bit more fuel so the engine doesnt blow itself up. Just go to Auto Zone, they read codes for free.

Integraholic said:
The bogging is probably from all the extra fuel and such. Now dont quote me on this, but newer cars usually have what's called limp mode. If it detects something wrong with the engine, it adds a bit more fuel so the engine doesnt blow itself up. Just go to Auto Zone, they read codes for free.
Autozone will check it for free, but be careful and watch what they are doing.... I had taken mine in a week ago for the "Dreaded check engine light" and they told me it was running to lean (after I could have swore he told me it was running too rich...) so I put fuel injector cleaner in there... the light goes off.... comes back on about a day later.... take it BACK to autozone and they tell me it is running too rich.... now my car gets bout 4 less to the gallon compared to what it was getting and that damn light is still on...

It's because the light is on and causing the computer to send more fuel into the engine. Too bad I cant go with you to look at the scanner and be able to tell you what actually is wrong with your car.

Integraholic said:
It's because the light is on and causing the computer to send more fuel into the engine. Too bad I cant go with you to look at the scanner and be able to tell you what actually is wrong with your car.
are you serious!?!?!! That bites.... how do I make that damn light go off.... can I like unplug it?? lol... any ideas???

What's the point in taking it into autozone if the dumbass says "it's running rich/lean"? I mean, that doesn't even tell you anything. The codes should indicate at least the type of sensor or part is not operating properly. It sounds kinda like it may be the IAC (if you guys even have those, I've never realy looked at a six). If so try cleaning it, just take it off and spray it out with carb clener let it dry and put her back on. I'm not sure about the specifice for your car, but once you figure out what it looks like (you do have a haynes/chilton book right? :)) it should be straight forward. Otherwise, the back of the Haynes book should have a list of codes. Take it back to autozone and write down the codes it gives. If you can't figure out what they mean, post them up.

Caps94ZODG said:
:mad: got the check engine light come on in the mustang, my fiance was driving her car home and it came on just as she started the car. Told her to pull over and turn the car off for 10 sec and start it back up. no change. she got home, I checked it out and here is what I noticed.

when you start the car the light comes on and stays on, the car runs fine about 4 seconds into the car running it drops down in idle then goes back up to normal.
now when I gave it a quick blip of the throttle it hesitates for 1/2 second and then revs up, almost like its about to bog down. then revs fine all the way through.

I put it in gear and push on the brake, with load on the engine it does the same thing a 1/2 second just a little more noticble than in park.

So I take it for a spin around the parking lot and go slow stopping every 20 feet. I feel it bog down for the 1/2 second then rev up or slightly surge like the gas finally was getting into the engine.

akay so I give it gas slowly and it revs fine, same in gear drives fine if I give it smooth even throttle.
but the min. I blip the gas pedal it will bog down for a 1/2 a second every time then go with a little more of a surge.

any ideas??? I checked what I could see at night which was not much. and could still go check it out tommorow.

If the stang is 95 or earlier, Autozones in my area will not run the diagnostic. Jiffy lube can do the same thing also for free. Try them just in case. Probably a bad MAF. Good luck!